brakes slow to respond on initial pull away. advise please.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
steve303sg

brakes slow to respond on initial pull away. advise please.

Post by steve303sg »

Hi. I have just bought an 06 r 1200rt, i have noticed that sometimes just after, initial start up, when i pull away the brakes fail to work until i have traveled maby 40 or 50 feet, then the brake failure light goes out and the brakes work fine, i am concerned that there is a problem developing and i may loose brakes all together while i am riding, please advise me if you think you know what is happening. thanks steve.
donald463

Re: brakes slow to respond on initial pull away. advise please.

Post by donald463 »

This is the way it works.Part of the check process needs you to move before final checks are made.Brakes will still work (to a useable level) even if lights stay on and ABS fails.Drove mine a few weeks until unit could be repaired. :kacsint2:
steve303sg

Post by steve303sg »

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes i understand i have to pull away for the system to opperate, most of the time the brakes work almost imediately, but some times i have to wait until i have traveled much further before i have any brake at all, i am trying to find out if there is a problem with my bike that may get worse causing brake failure while i am riding, you say you had your bike repaired, what was wrong with yours? thanks steve
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Brakes not working at any point indicates a fault to me.  What happens if you live on a steep hill?  Do you have servo brakes?  Had them on my 1200GT and hated them.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It’s a long time since I owned one but with the servo brakes I think remembering you need to hold the brake lever on when you start up.  Otherwise it doesn’t work straight away.  This could be what you are feeling as you will only have what they call residual braking to start with.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

See page 80 of the Rider's manual for Starting engine, http://www.kali.hu/motor/bmw-r1200rt/le ... l_2006.pdf
donald463

Post by donald463 »

steve303sg wrote: Hi, thanks for the reply, yes i understand i have to pull away for the system to opperate, most of the time the brakes work almost imediately, but some times i have to wait until i have traveled much further before i have any brake at all, i am trying to find out if there is a problem with my bike that may get worse causing brake failure while i am riding, you say you had your bike repaired, what was wrong with yours? thanks steve
Mine had airlock in the linked braking system. Needed bleeding by dealer. Brakes still worked all the time but were even better when sorted. The always work even when fault light is flashing.
If yours do not actually operate then you have a problem.