New guy from Colorado with a newbie question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
RickJ

New guy from Colorado with a newbie question

Post by RickJ »

New to the RT.  Picking up a new to me '08 RT next week  Just off a year on a K1200RS and 10 years or so on a Goldwing. Mostly various Hondas before that.  I have a simple question that has probably been addressed many times, but I could not find an answer.  A friend of mine always puts his RT on the center stand, even when we are stopped for a quick break.  He was told the oil either pooled in the low cylinder or ran out of the high cylinder, if kept on the side stand, possibly causing some sort of problem.  Any truth to this?  Thanks and I look forward to many smiles and miles on the RT.
AMA, IBA #26622 Retired. Currently neighborhood curmudgeon.
mcwhirtj

Re: New guy from Colorado with a newbie question

Post by mcwhirtj »

My '08 has 98k miles and always parked on side stand, no issues.  I have had, very few times, on startup a puff of smoke that I read can be due to situation you describe, if engine is in just the right position in terms of valve train position.  But maybe 4 times in all these years.  If it was a real issue, BMW would tell you to park it so, to reduce their warranty liability and financial reserves (directly impacts the bottom line). So I wouldn't hassle with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
RickJ

Re: New guy from Colorado with a newbie question

Post by RickJ »

Thanks, that is what I suspected, but since I am new to this platform, thought I should double check.  8)
AMA, IBA #26622 Retired. Currently neighborhood curmudgeon.