Nav 6 won't turn on and clock frozen in time.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sattwood3590

Nav 6 won't turn on and clock frozen in time.

Post by Sattwood3590 »

To the brain trust that is this group I have a challenge.  I rode to work this morning and all was right with the world.  Unfortunately when I rode home I noticed that the clock was still showing the time that I shut the bike off this morning and the Nav 6 didn't turn on when I started the bike.  Any ideas?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav 6 won't turn on and clock frozen in time.

Post by Our Gee »

Try asking in the “Problems” section, might get noticed better there.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Have you tried the Nav Vi while it is off the bike?
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I've also had this problem but mainly when I'd left the nav 6 on the bike for a few days.
I charged the nav from a mains charger cleaned the contacts on the back and the world was all good again.
Tiedend
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Tiedend »

I’ve had a problem with my Nav VI not starting up when in the cradle on the bike.

This happens only if the internal battery is flat. If it’s in the cradle for say 20 mins the next time I start the bike (say after a stop) the Nav VI then boots up.

Obviously if the battery is flat it won’t start off the bike so I’d try it off the bike to see if it’s a flat battery.

Looking at what you say about when it happened I’d have thought that the ride to work would have given it sufficient charge to start up later in the same day. So all I’ve said above may not apply especially as I’ve not had an issue with the time being incorrect.

Hope you resolve the issue. Maybe a trip to the dealer is needed.
Graham
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Had this once on my Nav V when touring, rebooting did not fix the problem, but a hard reset did - can't remember there is a key sequence or a pin hole under the cover that needs a paper clip.  After this it never repeated the behaviour!  Peter
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

The Nav6 is basically a rebranded Garmin unit.  My Zumo 660 froze on me in a similar way once and no matter what I tried to do with it the thing would not respond.  In the end I took the battery out and left it out for a while.  When I put the batter back in it fired up as normal and all was fine.  I have not had an issue since.   
Sattwood3590

Post by Sattwood3590 »

RESOLUTION!

After getting the brush off from the dealership in Northern Cal I contacted Garmin.  They were great.  Responsive and wanted to fix the problem.  It turns out it was a hardware issue that they have seen before.  They sent me a new unit and life is good again.  --Steve