Michelin Road 5 Compatibility

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Michelin Road 5 Compatibility

Post by exportman »

simbo wrote:
I wouldn't let it put you off using Michelin Tyre's LAF, I've run 'non GT' PR4's for the past 9k miles on my RT with absolutely no issues, That's 2 up, 2 up touring & fully loaded, spirited riding on my own and even a bit of mild off road lol. I even run the PR4 Trail on my V-Strom because they give excellent feedback and 100% confidence during every situation I encounter. Michelin have, and will be, my first choice tyre for any type of bike! Hell, if I knew I was only going out during fine weather and without much baggage I'd be inclined to have a pair of Pilot Powers thrown on there :-D

Unfortunately if the worst should happen  the insurance company will use this to try and wriggle out of paying your claim.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I believe in Germany its illegal to have unapproved tyres on any vehicle. Maybe someone who lives in Germany could confirm this. The fact the speed rating and load rating are the same doesn't mean that a non GT tyre is the same as a GT one. There is more too it than that. Something to do with carcass construction.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Levisp wrote: I believe in Germany its illegal to have unapproved tyres on any vehicle. Maybe someone who lives in Germany could confirm this. The fact the speed rating and load rating are the same doesn't mean that a non GT tyre is the same as a GT one. There is more too it than that. Something to do with carcass construction.

And that is my point!  If it meets the bikes specs you should be able to run it. When we buy a car tire we buy, size, weight rating, speed rating.  There are NO GT car tires,

So why on a bike?  It is pure BS.  Why was there no GT spec PR3?  They were a stock tire from the factory.

As long as everyone is willing to pay your money to a mythical GT tire they will take it and keep price gouging you. 

Caracas be damned, if it is my size, my speed rating, and my weight rating why are you building a tire that while marked that way is really not that rating?

How do you buy tires where you live?  Size, weight, speed.

I do not think it is ethical to build a tire that is marked for the correct weight and speed to need anything else, if so, it should not be marked with those ratings or should be a option with no cost.  I mean isn't it false advertising?

Say what you want it is just price fixing in the newest form. 

And as long as the tire is speed and weight rated for you bike a insurance adjuster is not going to know about shady tire manufactures now forcing you with a gun to your head, and this GT hysteria, to pay a higher price for a product that should be true to it's rating that has been established by a governing tire compliance/specification for as long as I have been buying tires.  About 45 years or so.

Vote with your wallet.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

LAF wrote:
And that is my point!  If it meets the bikes specs you should be able to run it. When we buy a car tire we buy, size, weight rating, speed rating.  There are NO GT car tires,

So why on a bike?  It is pure BS.  Why was there no GT spec PR3?  They were a stock tire from the factory.

As long as everyone is willing to pay your money to a mythical GT tire they will take it and keep price gouging you. 

Caracas be damned, if it is my size, my speed rating, and my weight rating why are you building a tire that while marked that way is really not that rating?

How do you buy tires where you live?  Size, weight, speed.

I do not think it is ethical to build a tire that is marked for the correct weight and speed to need anything else, if so, it should not be marked with those ratings or should be a option with no cost.  I mean isn't it false advertising?

Say what you want it is just price fixing in the newest form. 

And as long as the tire is speed and weight rated for you bike a insurance adjuster is not going to know about shady tire manufactures now forcing you with a gun to your head, and this GT hysteria, to pay a higher price for a product that should be true to it's rating that has been established by a governing tire compliance/specification for as long as I have been buying tires.  About 45 years or so.

Vote with your wallet.

Agee wholeheartedly  :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Not so sure. I think the point is that "GT" or "HWM" rated tyres, which are the ones specified for the rear on a RT1200LC, have reinforced sidewalls to cope with the extra weight and prevent the tyre wall flexing.
When I recently bought a Metzeler Roadtec HWM (Heavy Weight Motorcycle) my tyre fitter remarked how stiff the sidewalls were compared to a 'normal' tyre.
When I think of the stress the rear tyre is under when I'm riding two up and fully laden at high speed often for many hours , I want to know I've got the right tyre for the job. If you did have an accident caused by a blow-out on the rear then you'd be on very thin ice with your insurance company if you didn't have the correct spec tyres fitted.
The manufacturers don't go to the bother of making a different spec tyre for the fun of it, they have to cover themselves too.
Of course there are people happy to fit anything to their bikes, hence the fashion in the US for fitting car tyres to the rear. As they say...."Only in America!" [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Post by austavla »

Hi
After a 8800km round trip in Europe, Im home again.
The new Road 5 tires are very good. It's a lot of tread left in the tires, so I reckon i could get another 2-3000 km, maybe more.
It was a little bit "cupping" at the rear tyre.
I will attach pictures so you can judge it.

Best Regards
Audun
Attachments
DSC_4009.JPG
DSC_4010.JPG
Last edited by austavla on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by raider57 »

I recently bought an R1200RT that has new Michelin Road 5's mounted by the previous owner. I knew they are not 'recommended' but didn't consider that fact a deal breaker.
The bike seems to ride and handle fine. I never do two up touring.
I'll keep a sharp eye on them and report any strange wear, etc.
Last edited by raider57 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Builder

Post by Builder »

I just had a set installed on my RT.My dealer told me they have been installing a ton of these on the RT's.I asked him about the Michelin website stating they recommend the Road 4's, he said they have to say that to cover worst case.Michelin looks at it, if you were riding two up fully loaded and ran low tire pressure, the sidewalls would be less likely to fail on the GT's.In my case riding two up 30% of the time, rarely if ever fully maxed out, along with meticulously monitoring my tire pressure they recommended the 5's as a better tire.
Builder

Post by Builder »

Sorry about that last post.
Not really sure why it ran all my sentences together.Next time I will preview.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

austavla wrote: Hi
After a 8800km round trip in Europe, Im home again.
The new Road 5 tires are very good. It's a lot of tread left in the tires, so I reckon i could get another 2-3000 km, maybe more.
It was a little bit "cupping" at the rear tyre.
I will attach pictures so you can judge it.

Best Regards
Audun
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy