'No USB' message

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
garr2

'No USB' message

Post by garr2 »

I have a 2015RT and have copied music onto a USB stick. I plug the USB into the USB port in the RHS stowage compartment. On a few occasions now after starting the bike and selecting the USB drive, music does not play and a message appears saying 'No USB'. The USB is in fact plugged in. I have tried the high tech solution of turning the audio system off then on again, selected radio then reselected USB, unplugged then plugged the USB in again as well as turning the ignition off then on again. None of these seems to work. If I then give up and garage the bike for the night the USB may work on star-up the next day. Anyone else have a similar problem or a solution?

Ian
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: 'No USB' message

Post by beemerboy9 »

I had a similar problem with a reputable-brand 32GB USB stick.

I swapped the music onto an 8Gb stick and everything was fine (but don't ask me why  ???  )

Hope this helps .....

John
John Bentall
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

beemerboy9 wrote: I had a similar problem with a reputable-brand 32GB USB stick.

+1 not sure why it happened, think I dropped own to 16GB and all has been good, Peter
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I tried this, worked once (Sandisk 32gb) now says No USB :beee:
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

FWIW I get the same problem with my car and it seems to be something to do with the format (NTFS or FAT32).  WOrth checking with the dealer what format is supported as that may be the key to solving this.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Hmmm Sandisk was fat32, tried ntfs, no difference. Tried old giveaway unbranded stick, it's fat not fat32 - it works. Only trouble is it's 2gb.....I wonder if it's USB 3.0 or above that it doesn't like?
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

I doubt it is the USB version causing you a problem, as they should all be cross compatible. For formats NTFS is a proprietary Microsoft format and the only system that offers native support for it is Windows. Stick to FAT32.

My guess would be the bikes computer can only address a certain amount of space, you can create a volume on a flash drive that is smaller than the drive.. based on comments so far I would say 16Gb is the magic number.

In windows you can access the disk manager by clicking start and then right clicking 'Computer' then click 'Manage'. The disk manager is shown in the left panel, delete all volumes from the drive, create a new 16Gb volume and format to FAT32. Not ideal I know but at least it saves you buying another drive.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

That's not worked, using win10 disk manager. and the old stick that has worked has reached a folder size limit after approx 160 tracks - I think it's FAT not FAT32.