Front brake piston service

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Front brake piston service

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Latest update, the BMW technician phoned. Although he cannot see a reason for the pistons sticking within the callipers, a new pair of callipers has been authorised to be fitted under the Insured Warranty. The cost to me is an excess of £100. The callipers will be fitted tomorrow, if ok, happy days, if not further work will be required, standby.

Good result! 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:I also wonder if they'll change the pads at the same time?
It gets better, due to consequential damage, new brake pads have also been fitted, that'll pay my £100 excess.

BMW Emergency Services have confirmed that the bike will be returned to my home address.
Not bad, considering the Insured Warranty policy T&C's say this will only happen if "the bike was recovered to any dealer other than your local one".

At £35 per month for 7 months a year, I've had my money's worth out of the Warranty this year.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In the photo, it shows the wire clip around the brake pad retaining pin. When the bike was returned, noticed that the RHS calliper wire clip was not the original and had been replaced by a heavier duty one. On enquiring with Cooper BMW Sunderland, got some BS about the original one being weak and not having sufficient tension. Strange that the original LHS wire clip is ok. Have asked Cooper BMW to provide an original wire clip as should be fitted to the calliper. My guess is, they may have lost the original and put another on hoping that I wouldn't notice. The wire clips come as part of a mounting kit at £17.77 from Motorworks, https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_35_HA_30
Last edited by David. on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David is that an old picture ? Those are not new callipers are they ?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:David is that an old picture ? Those are not new callipers are they ?
No, the photo is taken from the first page of this thread, just as an example of the type of calliper fitted. I'd never let the callipers on my bike get into that state.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I thought so.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David did you ask for your old callipers back ?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:David did you ask for your old callipers back ?
No, under a warranty claim, don't know whether or not you would be given the choice.

Also, after the technician had initially agreed that the original pads were serviceable and could be re-used, I was surprised that new ones were fitted.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Fair enough. Just if originals were stripped it would be interesting to know what was causing the problem. Guess we will never know now.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ganesh wrote:When it was serviced there was a lot of grit behind the pads which they had to remove and clean, while the pads were out they eased the pistons out to check. They did want to do the replacements then as there were indications the seals were a bit worn and stuff had got behind it.
My bike was presented to the dealer in a very clean state, the pads had been removed and cleaned, together with the pistons/callipers themselves. Perhaps because of this, the technician could see no reason for the pistons sticking and therefore the callipers were replaced. Had the bike been presented with the callipers in a state like in the photo, it might have been a different outcome.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thats why it would have been interesting to find out what the problem was. I know from posts and photos you keep your bike in a very clean condition with no corrosion. So corroded pistons or excessive dirt would not be the cause. I can only guess that the sticking piston would be caused by a swollen seal. A brake calliper service kit would probably have sorted the problem. Not sure what else it could be.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:I can only guess that the sticking piston would be caused by a swollen seal. A brake calliper service kit would probably have sorted the problem. Not sure what else it could be.
Agreed, perhaps the seals became contaminated with some lubricant or other which was not rubber friendly.

If the work had not been covered under the warranty, I would of had a go at replacing the pistons & seals as Ganesh did.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Got a copy of the Warranty Invoice, the total cost (parts & labour) of the work was £813.56 inc. V.A.T.

The original wire brake pad pin clip has been returned, can't see anything wrong with it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Irrespective of whether the previous callipers & pads had been binding, I've noticed significantly less brake dust on the front wheel since renewal. The brakes are now spot on.

I was wondering whether anyone else had recently changed their front pads on a TC RT for genuine BMW ones and experienced the same phenomenon.

Is it possible that the friction material now used in the pads is different, if so, what/why has it changed.
Last edited by David. on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

I’ve just had my pads changed and calipers cleaned using bmw pads, be it Brembo made or not
Pads were only 75% worn but off for a fortnight in the Alps
I’ve never noticed excessive dust anywhere on my 2013 tc
What I have noticed is how much sharper the brakes are for an overhaul and new pads.
We never notice the deterioration until we overhaul, then we wonder why we didn’t do it sooner!
Brakes binding. Can’t help thinking that it’s not really the bikes fault if it’s got to that stage, sorry.
Yes it’s expensive but kinda helps you stop when you need to