One way to know your battery is dying....

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
ca1ic0cat

One way to know your battery is dying....

Post by ca1ic0cat »

2016 RT with the OEM battery.  I've had the typical situation where the bike wouldn't start with the first push of the starter switch but would fire up on the second.  No problem, typical according to the forum.  But then it go to the point where the second push would cause the display to go blank.  A third push and the bike would start but the display was back to default graphics, so I'd have to re-set to get the speedo display.  I had a thought that it was probably a dying battery but voltage was OK so ignored my intuition. 

Went to leave work yesterday and the battery wouldn't start the bike.  Displady said 12.1v and the radio worked but the starter wouldn't turn more than one compression and the engine wouldn't start. 

Got the old battery out with the OEM tool kit.

Got on the Batteries and Bulbs website, they recommended two Odyssey batteries.  But neither was the correct size.  Went down the shelf with the OEM battery and found an Xtreme XTAX16-BS that is an exact replacement made in USA (OEM is China).  Bike started right up.

Had the OEM battery tested, looks like a dead cell.  Measured 12.4v out out of the bike but very limited current and the tester said "replace."

Hope you all miss out on this issue.  Two years on a battery is rather short, if you'll pardon the pun,
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: One way to know your battery is dying....

Post by smileymiley »

2 years on a '14 RT, started first time. Nearly 2 years on the '16, starts first time. I have had both on an Optimate charger after every ride.... Don't know if that's significant.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Hi I have had the same problem on my 16 RT and whilst the battery had the right reading it would not start the bike even after it had been taken off  the battery tender half an hour previous.

Took it to Lind and they tested and replaced the battery but they also did a software update on the bike as the current version of the software had a bug that exacerbated the issue. Get your dealer to check you are on the latest version of the software
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Digressing slightly, but is this known to forum members re buying a new dry battery (ie comes with separate sulphuric acid pack)?? Under recent legislation under the home use of explosives precursors and poisons ([/font][/size]EPP[/font][/size]),wef July 1st 2018 here in the UK, you won’t apparently be able to buy a battery in this configuration (history regarding acid sales and subsequent attacks on people). Certainly news to me!
pdxairhed

Post by pdxairhed »

I started having a similar problem recently. First press sounds like the starter solenoid engages the pinion gear, but nothing. Second attempt nothing happens. Third attempt the bike starts, but the dash display changes the selected item, i.e. ambient temperature changes to fuel consumption, and the speedo changes to the RT logo.

I pulled the battery and had it load tested, and everything checks out - correct voltage and the cold cranking load was well above 270 CCA.

One thing I noticed was when I reconnected the negative cable there was some sparking at the terminal. The alarm was turned off. Other than that is there any other circuit that would be drawing on the battery with the ignition off?

Anybody of any other thoughts?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ca1ic0cat wrote:Two years on a battery is rather short.
Do bikes & therefore batteries in the US have a 3 year warranty.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:Certainly news to me!
Just checked MDS website & found this statement about "wet" batteries.

"From July 1st 2018 under new EPP (Explosives, Precursors & Poisons) regulations, we can no longer supply sulphuric acid, so all "dry charged" Yuasa motorcycle batteries will be supplied without acid. You will have to get the battery filled locally."

On checking batteries for my 2012 TC, MDS offer two alternatives. A Yuasa "wet" battery & a Yuasa "maintenance free" battery, the latter now come pre-filled.

"Due to new EPP Regulations, all Yuasa YT/YTX and YTZ Series sealed maintenance free motorcycle batteries are now supplied pre-filled."

The last "wet" battery I bought for my XJ650 was from Halfords, this is what they have to say.

"From July 1st 2018, the law around motorcycle batteries is changing. After this date, anyone wishing to buy a motorcycle battery with a separate acid pack will require an Explosives, Precursors and Poisons (EPP) Licence, costing £39.50. Purchasing acid packs without a licence will be illegal and could incur a fine. To keep things simple for you, we will no longer sell batteries with separate acid packs after July 1st. Instead, we will only stock pre-filled motorcycle batteries from Yuasa - the leading motorcycle battery brand. You won't need a licence to buy these pre-filled batteries and they come fully charged, ready to fit."
Last edited by David. on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.