Fuel gauge issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mrb1

Fuel gauge issue

Post by Mrb1 »

Firstly, Hello to everyone...this being my first post. I have just acquired an 07 plate RT with 42K on the clock. When I started the bike up the warning triangle was on with the fuel gauge flashing empty. I straight away filled the tank up but it is still flashing empty. Therefore I assume it is a fuel level sensor issue within the tank, and having read a bit about this already- it is a common fault on these bikes on the earlier models. Can anyone advise on the best course of action ie, should I approach the dealer (although I am sure it won't be cheap to replace)? Or is it possible to attempt to replace it myself - assuming a new fuel strip is needed?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel gauge issue

Post by David. »

You could try "zapping" it, or using an emulator, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8.msg40439#msg40439
Mrb1

Post by Mrb1 »

David, thanks. May give it a go..likely to save a bit of money if it works.
Rosneath rt

Post by Rosneath rt »

hi all this is my first post ,
                                  i had this problem with my 2010 r1200rt  and as above i zapped the wires 1& 4 and 2 & 3
i never thought this would work as BMW are replacing them ,so i thought i would give it a try . And its worked , ive filled the tank now about a dozen times and the fuel gauge is working perfectly.
  Can only asume its something to do with a build up  of static  as your only putting a small charge down the wires.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I have a 2007 RT and my fuel strip has been replaced three times since 2015.

They keep going wrong.
Browney

Post by Browney »

Twice on my 2010
k900r

Post by k900r »

Rosneath rt wrote: hi all this is my first post ,
                                  i had this problem with my 2010 r1200rt  and as above i zapped the wires 1& 4 and 2 & 3
i never thought this would work as BMW are replacing them ,so i thought i would give it a try . And its worked , ive filled the tank now about a dozen times and the fuel gauge is working perfectly.
  Can only asume its something to do with a build up  of static  as your only putting a small charge down the wires.
Hi, quick question... on the zapper does it matter which wire goes to 1/4 and 2/3?
My friend has the same issue and needs to try it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk