Site moving or closing .....

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
STeinar

Re: Site moving or closing .....

Post by STeinar »

Thank you all for nice words :-)
Its not so that I will close it down "now" - its mote looking for options - and I have someone already indicated that they will consider to bring it further :-)

Today I'm running all servers in my own basement, but internet connection, power and not to forget cooling do cost a bit and also time needed for running the database servers, the web servers, mail servers etc etc do take some time.

I'm therefor looking for options to take everything down - and stop all the servers totally.

This site is only 1 of 18 services I'm running today - so if we look at work included for this site alone - It's not much, but for running everything - it's a bit to much for me at the moment :-)

STeinar

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I wish to add my sentiments already expressed here.

Thank you very much for what you have achieved, and I am sorry to see you go.  I have enjoyed lurking, and occassionally posted.

I also wish I had the time and know-how to run a site like this.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I have made some good friends, enjoyed and arranged some great ride outs, all because of this forum.  I've also benefited from the knowledge freely given to help me keep my bike in good shape.

I've seen other forums disappear before, and with them, goes all of the great information that can be searched for the benefit of others.

I REALLY hope someone has the knowledge to take it over.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

I would be happy to contribute a yearly fee but I know that may not be the answer
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Gman1969 wrote: I would be happy to contribute a yearly fee but I know that may not be the answer

And I.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

it would be a shame if this site closed. there are other sites but they either don't cater much for the RT (ukgser or [size=2px]bmwmoa [/size]forum) or they seem more helpful to US owners ([size=2px]bmwsporttouring or bmwlt)[/size]
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Beagle wrote:
And I.

And I :-)
Browney

Post by Browney »

Damn! I've just found this place.

I know the work that goes into a forum as I used to help run and maintain the gtsownersclub.co.uk forum. Unfortunately the database has been lost due to unfortunate circumstances, so that has now closed.

I do have an account with freeola where I started to rebuild it but the facebook group has taken over really. I think its something like £25 a quarter.