Transmission and Final Drive capacities?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Transmission and Final Drive capacities?

Post by raider57 »

Anyone know the respective capacities of the transmission and final drive for a 2012 R1200RT?
Or specifically, the recommended amounts to add during a fluid change.

The owners manual doesn't even list a total capacity for either and I'll be doing my own fluid changes in the future. It seems they both use the same 75-90 synthetic GL-5 gear oil.
Beagle

Re: Transmission and Final Drive capacities?

Post by Beagle »

raider57 wrote: Anyone know the respective capacities of the transmission and final drive for a 2012 R1200RT?
Or specifically, the recommended amounts to add during a fluid change.

The owners manual doesn't even list a total capacity for either and I'll be doing my own fluid changes in the future. It seems they both use the same 75-90 synthetic GL-5 gear oil.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... stion.html
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From the Haynes manual, for a 2012 TC RT, the Gearbox oil capacity is 700ml (fill to the lower edge of the filler hole) and the Final drive oil capacity is 180ml.

As said, both units use the same, 75w-90 gear oil.
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

David. wrote: From the Haynes manual, for a 2012 TC RT, the Gearbox oil capacity is 700ml (fill to the lower edge of the filler hole) and the Final drive oil capacity is 180ml.

As said, both units use the same, 75w-90 gear oil.

700ml is the correct capacity but as some of that is trapped (due to viscosity) you may not be able to put that much in. The procedure calls for one to add oil through the fill hole until it dribbles back out. The FD will fill port is well above the full-oil 'waterline' so to speak so you can put the full 180ml in. For the transmission I just add until it overflows and for the FD I measure out the correct amount and inject it with a large syringe with a short tube attached I bought from Amazon
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition