'06 RT rear acessory socket.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

'06 RT rear acessory socket.

Post by milleplod »

I've just found out that the rear accessory socket - just above the l/h pannier - doesn't work....not surprising really, as its not wired up for some reason! Strange thing is, it doesn't look as if its ever been connected, even though it looks like a genuine BMW DIN (Powerlet?) one. I can see the unused 2-pin connector that's still taped to the loom (the wires to it are brown and orange/green, which my wiring diagram shows as being for the accessory socket), but the back of the socket itself has 2 spade terminals set at 90deg to each other. Is something missing from the back of the socket - an adapter of some sort perhaps? - or is there a cable available that will let me connect the dissimilar connectors? I've looked on RealOEM but can't find anything.
Pete
milleplod

Re: '06 RT rear acessory socket.

Post by milleplod »

I've just found the answer! There's a black plastic adapter of some sort missing from the back of the socket - it converts the spade terminals into something that accepts the 2 pins. I've just found a complete socket on eBay for £7, so problem solved! I'm assuming that the socket was retro-fitted by a previous owner, perhaps he bought a used one with the adapter missing.

Pete
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

milleplod wrote: I've just found the answer! There's a black plastic adapter of some sort missing from the back of the socket - it converts the spade terminals into something that accepts the 2 pins. I've just found a complete socket on eBay for £7, so problem solved! I'm assuming that the socket was retro-fitted by a previous owner, perhaps he bought a used one with the adapter missing.

Pete

More likely that the previous owner did not want to shell out for a genuine BMW charger so had a fused wire running direct to the battery. A direct wire is jolly useful for running an electric tyre inflator which may draw too much current for a Can-Bus controlled socket.
But why did the previous owner not leave this wire in place if that was the case?
John Bentall
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

I've had another look - I believe it's an aftermarket socket that's been fitted, which would explain the spade terminals on the back of it and the unused plug still taped to the rear loom! I wonder if the socket's been fitted, then whoever did it just never bothered wiring it up?.....odd, but stranger things have happened!  As I said though, there's an original socket on its way to me.  :)
Re CANbus, I tried my Airman Tour compressor using the front socket yesterday, it worked fine, no tripping out at all - I think it draws around 4.5A - is the outlet rated at 5A? Funnily enough, the same pump wouldn't work on the socket on my 1200ST, it tripped that out straight away every time.
Pete