Tools required to remove wheels on R1200RTWC

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
kioolt
United States of America

Tools required to remove wheels on R1200RTWC

Post by kioolt »

[size=78%]FYI[/size]

I've made a list of the tools required to remove the wheels on a R1200RTWC.  My 2018 RT will be my first bike that does not have a functional tool kit so I put this list together so I could at least remove the wheels if needed.

Front wheel
1. T30 torx bit  ---  To remove ABS sensor
2. T45 torx bit  ---  To remove axle pinch bolts
3. 13mm deep socket --- To remove brake caliper  ---  Deep socket not needed for front but can used for front and rear if deep
4. 17mm standard socket  ---  To remove bolt on left side of shaft

Rear wheel
1. T25 torx bit  ---  To remove muffler guard
2. T40 torx bit  ---  To remove rear bolt on muffler
3. T50 torx bit  ---  To remove lug bolts
4. 13mm deep socket  ---  To loosen muffler clamp  --  Deep socket needed for rear, standard socket will work for front.

Both wheels
1. 3/8" ratchet
2. 3/8" X 4" to 6" extension

I'm going to put together the above set and keep it on the bike at all times.  My biggest problem while traveling is usually tires.

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Tools required to remove wheels on R1200RTWC

Post by T6pilot »

A fellow named Mark Parns here in California makes a front axel tool for BMW’s
If you search him on the web you’ll find he makes a host of tools and accessories for BMW bikes

Jij
Jim
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

The front axle tools could take the place of the 3/8' ratchet and extension  Interestingly the R1200RTWC bike is not listed as a bike it is made for.  I imagine that it is but I wonder why it is not listed that way.  This is something I will investigate.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

The tool as pictured will not work on a R1200RTWC because the internal dimension of the axle is 19mm.  The 19mm end has the hole drilled for the bar to go through.  If the hole were to be drilled through the 22mm end there would be no problem using it.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I've just had the wheels off mine for new tyres.  You don't need the axle tool (on mine anyway) because you take out the two clamp bolts and then undo the nut on the left hand end of the spindle.  Then support the weight of the wheel and tap the axle out, use a socket extension bar as a drift.  The rear caliper does not need to be removed as the disc is attached to the hub, not the wheel.

Easy job.  I've got a small bottle jack which goes under the front of the engine with a shaped wooden block to project the cases.  This just pivots the bike back slightly on the centre stand enough to very slightly lift the front wheel so it slips out (take the mudguard off first).