Wanted: aftermarket screen for 2010 RT

Looking to buy a BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or just after some parts and accessories?
Lateralus

Wanted: aftermarket screen for 2010 RT

Post by Lateralus »

Hi all, new to the forum, and new to RT ownership! Took delivery of a 2010 model yesterday.

Really pleased with it so far, but having test ridden a Pan European before settling on the RT, I'd like a bigger screen which provides better protection - the Pan's screen was like a barn door! I'm about 5'10, and with the stock screen at full height I find I'm about eye level with the top, which is really annoying.

So, I'm keen to buy an aftermarket screen, and have read good things about the Werks Quiet Ride, 7jurock (same as the Werks?) and ZTechnik's VStream. Based in the UK.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Wanted: aftermarket screen for 2010 RT

Post by David. »

Recently fitted a Ztechnik Tall VStream to my 2012 TC RT, http://www.bmw-windshields.co.uk/conten ... 200rt.html

IMO, when cruising at 70MPH, the VStream offers far better wind noise reduction than the stock screen, which was just irritating. This was the main reason or fitting the VStream.
A trade off is that, on a hot day, at slower speeds, you get less cooling breeze when the VStream is lowered. Perhaps a different choice of riding kit would solve the latter problem.

The private seller kindly let me try the screen before purchase, he also provided and helped to fit replacement upper brackets, similar to these,
https://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/we ... ow/3658072

Whereabouts in the UK are you based.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

Thanks for that - I would ideally hope for something which maintains a breeze when lowered, but guess there'll always be a compromise!

I did like the way I could pitch the stock screen to blow the rain off my visor this morning, so if I went with a Ztechnik then I guess the standard height one might work.

I'm in Nottingham.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Lateralus wrote:If I went with a Ztechnik then I guess the standard height one might work.
You're probably right, the tall one is 1.5" higher & 2.5" wider than the standard VStream screen.

At 5' 10", I'm the same height as you, the tall screen came from a taller rider's bike. It was local, a good price & works for me.

Another bonus of a taller screen is being able to raise the rider's seat height by 20mm. Less bend in the knee for a more comfortable ride, whilst still being cosseted behind the screen.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

David. wrote: You're probably right, the tall one is 1.5" higher & 2.5" wider than the standard VStream screen.

At 5' 10", I'm the same height as you, the tall screen came from a taller rider's bike. It was local, a good price & works for me.

Another bonus of a taller screen is being able to raise the rider's seat height by 20mm. Less bend in the knee for a more comfortable ride, whilst still being cosseted behind the screen.

By chance, I came across an RT being sold nearby with the VStream screen on it. I contacted the seller, who was happy for me to swap their VStream for my stock one, plus some cash.

The screen measures about 27" top to bottom, which I think makes it the taller one, but I'm finding it just a bit too tall for me liking - even having tried raising the seat height (which did make a fair amount of difference, but still not quite enough for me!).

So, is there anyone in the UK with a standard height VStream screen who'd like to swap for a tall one?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Lateralus wrote:The screen measures about 27" top to bottom, which I think makes it the taller one.
Just checked mine, it too measures 27" from top to bottom and confirms the tall version.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Gents

You can successfully cut down the taller screens with a jigsaw (using a good quality masking tape to protect the screen when cutting [eg, frog tape], at least two inches either side of the cut line, more is better),  if you are careful and go slowly so that the plastiglass does not stick together behind the heated blade you will be OK.  Once the cut is complete, file down to smooth (using a file or if you prefer, rubbing board and glass paper or better still, wet and dry) finish.

I have found it is easier to mask and cut when the screen is still on the bike.  I lopped two inches of mine by this method.  If you are confident with a jigsaw and a file, crack on!

Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Checked mine too. It's 26 and a quarter inches top to bottom.