I need a location to put my Stanley garage door opener

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
kioolt
United States of America

I need a location to put my Stanley garage door opener

Post by kioolt »

I just bought a 2018 R1200RT and know nothing about what is behind the plastic.  I also have a Stanley AutoTrans (garage door opener transmitter for automobile mounting).  It is about 3 1/2" X 3 1/4" X 1 1/4" in size and needs to be hooked up to the high beam bulb.  It is in a water resistant case so it could go in a wet or a dry location on the bike.  Does anyone know where on the bike there might be space for it?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: I need a location to put my Stanley garage door opener

Post by T6pilot »

Is it paired to open garage like the flash to pass systems? In other words you do not need to access it.  My brains or guts from my passport 7500 live under right front upper fairing, with a little creativity it will fit

Jim
Jim
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

A flash and then hold makes it transmit.  I've got them on all of my vehicles except my newest car which has it's own garage door transmitter built in.  Well my next question is how do you remove the front panels?  Would there be space behind the speakers?  Where's the easiest place to tap into the high beam?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

You may find it easier to fit it up near the horn, plenty of space for it and easy to tap of the lighting circuit there.

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Before removing upper front panels view and uTube videos regarding panel removal
There are a couple tabs on upper part of panel, these are easy to break and $$$$ to replace
Jim
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

Yes I did watch a YouTube video on removing the panels.  It was very helpful.  I ended up putting my transmitter on the left side behind the upper panel because it was the closest location to where the headlamp wires are accessible.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

That's the coolest thing I've heard of in a long time!  I have a traditional garage door opener in my tank bag, and I thought that was high-tech compared to hopping off the bike and using the keypad on the door frame.  I definitely need to look into that Stanley system.
8)
BMW MOA #210438
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

Stanley quit making anything for garage doors a long time ago.  Everything that I have I have had for most likely over 10 years.  There is another company doing the same thing now.

https://flashtoopen.com/
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

kioolt wrote: Stanley quit making anything for garage doors a long time ago.  Everything that I have I have had for most likely over 10 years.  There is another company doing the same thing now.

https://flashtoopen.com/

...and it is interesting to note that flashtoopen say that their product is not compatible with Can-Bus bikes.
John Bentall
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

This looks like a simple solutions that avoids canbus and other issues. Just need to find a place for one of their switches. US based...
Steve
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I found some do it yourself instructions.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Instal ... Motorcycl/
CliveJ
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt lc. 2014
Great Britain

Post by CliveJ »

No body tried this guys set up then
  [size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dR6t2zCLaA[/size]

be

kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I tried it but it is not as reliable as the youtube video was.  I wasn't able to get the same model.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

kioolt wrote: I tried it but it is not as reliable as the youtube video was.  I wasn't able to get the same model.
I used to have once of those models, VERY expensive in the long run.  :alas:
BMW MOA #210438
Joets185
United States of America

Post by Joets185 »

A different solution I have found is a product called NEXX Garage. It works over wifi and in conjunction with your iPhone or Android device. Once installed and configured, it will allow you to control your garage door (s) from anywhere you have an internet connection (wifi or cellular data). In addition tp controlling the door(s) , it will also allow you to receive alerts when the door is operated, if you choose.

The best feature, IMO, is the ability to use geofencing and setup an Auto-open feature. In other words, I can setup the app to automatically open the door when I am 30 meters away (or closer, or further away). This is fantastic when returning home. No need to fumble for an opener or stop the bike and get off.

I have no interest in the company, just a happy user.

Joe