Screen spoiler

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
chrismckay

Screen spoiler

Post by chrismckay »

When I have my wife as pillion on longer rides she is more comfortable with the windshield fully extended. For myself with the windshield fully extended there is an annoying rumble of turbulence.

For this reason can anyone recommend a good quality screen spoiler or a different screen?
guest2360

Re: Screen spoiler

Post by guest2360 »

I suspect the rumble you hear is back pressure, you can normally feel this on your shoulders. The solution is lower the screen a bit and explain  to her it saves fuel. Never seen a spoilers on an RT. I did many miles with a friend on an identical RT.  I always rode with the screen about 1/3 up, he always all the way up. Whenever we filled up from near empty his bill was always £5 more. 
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

RTman10 wrote: I suspect the rumble you hear is back pressure, you can normally feel this on your shoulders. The solution is lower the screen a bit and explain  to her it saves fuel. Never seen a spoilers on an RT. I did many miles with a friend on an identical RT.  I always rode with the screen about 1/3 up, he always all the way up. Whenever we filled up from near empty his bill was always £5 more.

Hello RT,

Sometimes when riding I like to have the radio playing in my helmet, with the screen full up I can hardly hear it with the rumble, ill try the screen like you say.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have never been able to use the speakers on the move, I just use them on my drive to annoy the neighbours. I always listen via a wired intercom system.  That way you get perfect stereo. 
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I use a bluetooth helmet system for my music and sat-nav connection (phone as well if I'm that daft).
I always have the screen in the lowest position for filtering to give best visibility, and once on the move raise it until it goes quiet - about 2/3 of the way up - being a short-ar5e I never need it at full height and don't suffer from back-pressure problems.
Considered a larger screnn until I discovered that the standard one is fine for me - neede a comfort seat though  ;D
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

chrismckay wrote: When I have my wife as pillion on longer rides she is more comfortable with the windshield fully extended. For myself with the windshield fully extended there is an annoying rumble of turbulence.

For this reason can anyone recommend a good quality screen spoiler or a different screen?

What bike have you got?

On the Wetheads, many of us change our OEM screens because when compared to certain aftermarket screens, the OEM ones are rubbish at air control.
So for me, I have fitted a Werks Quiet Ride screen which for 99% of the time is astounding at the improvement it has wrought.
Shakleton

Post by Shakleton »

I am also interested in the experience and responses here. I ride a 2017 Wethead. I am 5’9 with a 29” inseam. I rode 6,000 miles this summer around Scandinavia with my wife as pillion.

I experimented with two after market clip on spoiler screens from MRA. I settled on taking the larger one. It sort of worked - keeping the wind and rain down and bugs off my visor. But it is ugly and the whole screen still needed to be moved up to a point where it intruded into my forward vision.

The Werks  screen has many fans and I am tempted by the 24” version but what about those days when you need air flowing through jacket and pants to keep cool? Is the Werks screen capable of delivering air in the lowest position and a quiet ride when it is moved to say one third up - avoiding intrusion into the forward vision?

If not the solution might be a Werks for three seasons and a short screen for Summer tours?

All advice, thoughts and comments gratefully received.