Loctite?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Loctite?

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Should I use Loctite if I'm securing bolts on brake discs and wheels? Just thinking of getting them loose again in future!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Loctite?

Post by David. »

The Haynes Manual for a TC recommends the following:-

"Clean up the threads of the disc mounting bolts and apply a suitable non-permanent thread-locking compound.

Note that the bolts are micro-encapsulated with locking compound when new and BMW advises that new bolts are fitted."

An example.
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Should fit new bolts and correctly torque them.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Beagle wrote: Should fit new bolts and correctly torque them.
+1
Rod

Post by Rod »

I can't answer yes/no in this application but if it's yes - use the right  type. Some will need a blowtorch and a hammer to disassemble :)  http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/the-d ... adlockers/
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Blue Loctite is what you'll need or another manufacturers equivelent.
So long as the old bolts aren't damaged during removal then there is nothing wrong with using some wire wool to clean the old / factory fit thread lock off the bolt, add new and replace making sure you tighten it to the correct torque.
When I did mine I found a heat gun (paint stripper type) worked well to put some height into the general area of the bolts in order to soften the old thread lock.Off the top of my head I think there was also a particular pattern (bit like when you do up wheel bolts or cyclinder head bolts) to make sure the new disk is seated correctly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Bolts securing brake discs and wheels were mentioned. The age of the bike has not been mentioned I think, so if its a recent model and bolts have not been removed before then they are ok to reuse though its always better to replace. If they have been removed by a previous owner then they may not have been replaced to the correct torque and may have been stretched hence replacement is advised.  Wheel bolts are on a tapered head and do not need Loctite. In any event the recipient holes should be clean and grease/oil free. If Loctite is applied to Disc bolts make sure it doesnt get to the bottom of the bolt hole and cause them to "hydraulic" giving a false torque.