oil level sight glass query

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
chrismicallef

oil level sight glass query

Post by chrismicallef »

Hi Riders
I have just received my R1200RT ( Not New) just bought an ex Police bike, i loved these bikes, but now after I went for a short ride I love it more. However when it comes to looking after these things I like to be very careful, so I have a little pickle I am in. I have checked my Oil Sight Glass and I am not sure if it is empty or full  over filled so I can only see clear oil, Now due to it is a heavy bike Its not easy to Jiggle  it around and looking at the sight glass in the same time, so I am looking for experienced riders to let me know if there is an other way, because I am scared if it is filled above the sight glass and I put in some more I am over filling it, but if it is short than I would see the sight glass filling up, however if it is already over filled, than I would have to empty everything out and I am not  good in these things, on the other hand I am embarrassed to go and ask a motor mechanic. So all the help would be taken appreciatively.
Levisp

Re: oil level sight glass query

Post by Levisp »

There has been a similar query to yours recently posted by another forum member so you are not alone. On my LC bike the oil is clearly visible. If as you say the oil level is not obvious then try putting the bike on its side stand and seeing if you can see a level. If its over full then this might drop the level to show in the sight glass. Another idea is to start the bike, let it idle for say a minute and then turn it off. Now check sight glass. With oil not having a chance to flow back into the sump you should see a level. This only helps if its overfull. If its low of oil then I'm not sure how you could check this other than draining the oil. Is there an oil level indicator on your dash ? Hope this helps.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismicallef

Post by chrismicallef »

Thank you very much, This helps a lot. Sorry for being so dump , but I got it now.
Thanks Levisp
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

No problem let us know what you find. Have a read of your manual how to check oil level properly. Its different to a lot of bikes and you can get a false reading. Attached is what the manual says about the LC model.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 18.22.23.png
LAF

Post by LAF »

It is the wait 5 mins that most people don't get right.  Once you shut the motor down, put it on the center stand and time for 5 mins EXACTLY and look at the sight glass.  It is very exact to wait only 5 mins.