Sena SM10 and Motochello - Are they worth using?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
kioolt
United States of America

Sena SM10 and Motochello - Are they worth using?

Post by kioolt »

I recently got a 2018 RT and a Sena 20S headset.  I am not happy with the audio quality of the satellite radio with this set up.  I have read that the upgrade for the factory setup is to add a Motochello speaker bridge and a Sena SM10 dual stream bluetooth transmitter.  I would really like to get good quality audio to my headset.  Is the Motochello and Sena SM10 upgrade a big improvement over the OEM setup?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Sena SM10 and Motochello - Are they worth using?

Post by Rambler358 »

The setup definitely helps with the sat radio's audio. You also get full control of the wonder wheel for volume and everything else.  The passenger helmet links to the 2nd Bluetooth channel of the SM10 so "music sharing" is not required.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I have been thinking about trying the Motochello and SM10 setup on my bike.  I have looked at other bluetooth transmitters and was wondering if they might work also.  One in particular that I have looked at is the TaoTronics.

link here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IV1H1ME/re ... 377&sr=8-3

It cost a lot less than the Sena SM10 and appears to do everything that I need it to.  Any thoughts?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

It might work, but I guess there's only one way to find out. If it doesn't work you're not out a lot of $$.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I believe it might be better. I found a review online that said it had very good sound quality.

Pros - It is Bluetooth 4.1 vs the Sena being Bluetooth 2.1.
        Cost is a lot less than the Sena.

Cons - Not water resistant
          Has only one input
Bernie
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
United States of America

Post by Bernie »

kioolt wrote: I believe it might be better. I found a review online that said it had very good sound quality.

Pros - It is Bluetooth 4.1 vs the Sena being Bluetooth 2.1.
        Cost is a lot less than the Sena.

Cons - Not water resistant
          Has only one input

I have been using this setup for over a year on my 2018 R1200RT-LC. Rain or shine.
I installed the Motocello Speaker Bridge and mounted the Sena SM10 in the front of the bike on a shelf above the dash.
I use a Sena 20S head set. It gives me full control of the BMW audio system from the wonder wheel and I also receive Nav 6 trip instructions and warnings through the SM10 (mutes music by 50% or so).
The setup works great, as long as I don’t try to use Intercom.
Last edited by Bernie on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernie
Jax, FL
2023 R1250RT, Triple Black
2018 R1200RT, Alpinweiss, 101,800 Smiles! SOLD. 
2007 R1200RT, Double Silver 188,700 Smiles, SOLD. 
2000 R1100RT, Opal 104,000 Smiles, SOLD
Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ - SE group,
BMW-MOA, BMW-RA, AMA, BMW-NEF,
Quote: "Be as safe as you can while still having fun."
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

Bernie wrote:
I have been using this setup for over a year on my 2018 R1200RT-LC. Rain or shine.
I installed the Motocello Speaker Bridge and mounted the Sena SM10 in the front of the bike on a shelf above the dash.
I use a Sena 20S head set. It gives me full control of the BMW audio system from the wonder wheel and I also receive Nav 6 trip instructions and warnings through the SM10 (mutes music by 50% or so).
The setup works great, as long as I don’t try to use Intercom.
+1 - though I don't have any intercom problems when my wife's onboard as passenger.
BBrown
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
United States of America

Post by BBrown »

I’ve used the Motochello and SM10 for years with no problems. Lately, been having trouble with Motochello port you plug the stereo cable into. It works intermittently. I’ve replaced the cable with a new one and also tested it with a stereo headset and am pretty sure it’s the Motochello port. I’ll buy a new bridge but can’t seem to find one. Not sure the company is still in business. If not is there another solution.