Wethead Pillion access

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

Wethead Pillion access

Post by bandytales »

My wife is 5'1".
She finds the back of the Wethead very comfortable, however getting on, and particularly getting off, she finds very difficult.
The Wethead seems to be a very short bike (in the accommodation department), so access appears to be more limited.
We have been riding forever, and this new bike is the hardest to get on and off for her. Unfortunately, we always ride with the top box fitted and so there is nowhere to 'swing' the leg. it has to get through the gap between me and the top box.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you come up with any solutions?
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Wethead Pillion access

Post by michaelc2710 »

My better half get's on first and slides back to the pillion seat, I get off first and she slides down to my seat and gets of that way.
No more side pannier or top box kicking and the side stand is more than capable to hold her weight until I get on the bike.

Hope that helps.
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Viking John »

I don't have the watercooled model but I find the best way for a pillion to get on a RT when the topbox is on as follows....
Rider gets on and holds the front brake on to steady the bike, passenger puts left foot on footrest and and stands up on the footrest, then from this position it is easy to put the right foot on the right footpeg and sit down, if necessary the passenger can steady them selves by placing both hands on the rider 's shoulders, works for us even with a heavy or novice passenger.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Viking John wrote: I don't have the watercooled model but I find the best way for a pillion to get on a RT when the topbox is on as follows....
Rider gets on and holds the front brake on to steady the bike, passenger puts left foot on footrest and and stands up on the footrest, then from this position it is easy to put the right foot on the right footpeg and sit down, if necessary the passenger can steady them selves by placing both hands on the rider 's shoulders, works for us even with a heavy or novice passenger.
Hi John. thanks for that, but that method isn't working for us. She does exactly the same method as you have described (always has done), but on the Wethead, something is much tighter and can't easily get the right leg through the gap between me and the top box.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

michaelc2710 wrote: My better half get's on first and slides back to the pillion seat, I get off first and she slides down to my seat and gets of that way.
No more side pannier or top box kicking and the side stand is more than capable to hold her weight until I get on the bike.

Hope that helps.
Michael, when you get off, do you have to kind of hop sideways to get your right leg off the bike?
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

My wife has exactly the same problem on the RT, and has led to one or two funny incidents in car parks etc. She's very particular about not wanting to mark the bike, so finds the whole process challenging. She's about 5' 3", not very agile and at 46, not getting any younger. We persevere :) 
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

bandytales wrote: Michael, when you get off, do you have to kind of hop sideways to get your right leg off the bike?

No not really, I'm 6ft and I've never kicked her in the head yet albeit I've thought about it sometimes......
It's the best way that works for us and the only way Lindsey will get on and off now.

Flutophilus

Post by Flutophilus »

We've just got our first RT (a 2018 model).  Only complaint from the passenger is that my wife finds the footpegs a little too short - and has actually slipped off while trying to get on the bike. I don't suppose anyone makes any longer ones do they?