Name that seat

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
xviffer

Name that seat

Post by xviffer »

I picked up a 2011 R1200RT this week, and it came with a beautiful heated seat (front and back).  Unfortunately, it is too high for me and I'll be replacing it with a low one.  Since I have no need for it, I'd like to sell it, but I know nothing about it.  So I could use your help in identifying the seat and establishing a good price to sell it for. 

Pictures attached.  It says made in Spain under the seat and is of excellent quality.

Thanks.
Attachments
20180831_195228.jpg
20180831_195213.jpg
20180831_195203.jpg
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Name that seat

Post by Sullivj »

It's the BMW comfort seat.

I'm interested in purchasing it, so have sent you a PM.

If anyone else on here has one for sale, please PM me.
Last edited by Sullivj on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

xviffer wrote:Unfortunately, it is too high for me and I'll be replacing it with a low one.
Is the BMW comfort seat actually higher than the low one, or is it wider, which then makes the rider's inside-leg arc, heel to heel greater.

The comfort seat is described as extra-low. KFM list the seat height as 765mm, https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/g ... 7347708877

The Rider's Manual, lists the single front low seat as 780 - 800mm, whether in the low or high position.
Last edited by David. on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Pillion doesnt look too comfy. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this info.

Ergonomics and Comfort
* Extra-low seat (30.1”) (single-piece, only without seat heating)
* Rider’s seat, low, (30.7/31.5”)
* Comfort seat (30.9”) (single-piece, only with seat heating)
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

I have all three OEM seats for my RT (I bought it used with two and bought one used). I strongly recommend you do NOT buy the so-called extra-low seat. Here are my observations (FYI, I have a 29" inseam and my bike has the factory-lowered, non-ESA suspension), hope this helps:

Regular: Nicely padded and the tallest of the three. I find I get hot-spots on the inside of my thighs but it is otherwise fairly comfortable for rides of less than about two hours. It allows a lot of fore-aft movement.

Extra-low: This seat is a medieval torture device disguised as a motorcycle seat. Not only is it hard, is it also shaped in such a way as to make any fore-aft movement impossible by simultaneously pressing on the small of your back and wedging your front dangly-bits into the tank. It does offer the lowest possible seat height and is the only motorcycle seat I've ever been able to flat-foot with (barely) with but it is otherwise horrible, especially for causing tailbone pain. If you don't see a large bump coming, the bike will, in effect, kick you in the nuts.

Comfort: This is the seat I use for my daily commuting now. Its height and width are such that its perceived height is somewhere between the other two. Its slightly cupped shape does restrict fore-aft movement somewhat and I get just a little ache in my tailbone after a couple of hours. This seat, though generally comfortable, still isn't anywhere near as comfortable as it should be for its price (well north of $800 in the US, or about $250-$300 used). If that little backrest wasn't there I think it would be better.

As Russel won't tailor a seat for shorter riders, my next purchase is going to be either a Seth Laam or Terry's Custom.
Last edited by Pappy35 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition