BMW Warranty

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GJ-MOTO

Re: BMW Warranty

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Casbar wrote: I doubt if you would burn enough oil on a journey to harm the engine, therefore if no oil leaks or smoke, then you have not been checking the oil level and its probably been happening for a while. Nobody relies on the oil warning light to come on before checking the oil levels. You wouldn't in a car, so what is different with a bike?

Casbar i had previously checked the oil level, which I did when I washed the bike and put it away for two weeks. Would you then check it again when you pull it out of the garage with no sign of oil leaks on the garage floor. Bike rode 60+ miles without any problem, left work for 60+ mile return journey, approx 20'miles in felt a loss of power and then the noise. No warning light so when would you rely on the warning light, I would expect it during the ride to allow you to pull over and check the level. So why didn't the warning light come on, appreciate we all have our views, if a bike is fitted with warning features then I would expect them to work.

What I can't accept is BWM making assumptions and haven't properly investigated and just made reference to page 94 of the manual. Which I would say I've done more frequently, but the manual also refers to the low level warning light so why won't BMW investigate when the bike log doesn't show any warning being registered.
GJ-MOTO
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

As far as I can see there is no oil pressure warning light on the LC bikes. The only one I can see is an oil level warning which from my manual says check oil level at next fuel stop ! Not very urgent then ! So big question is where has all the oil gone ? At what level does the oil warring level come on ? If oil warning level is not on then there should be sufficient oil in engine not to cause any damage. I am presuming there is engine damage or are you saying you have loss of power. If you have loss of power could that be something entirely different ie some ECU fault giving you limp home mode. However having said that I would still like to know where has all the oil gone.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 21.51.32.png
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:The only one I can see is an oil level warning which from my manual says check oil level at next fuel stop.
Does this mean that the oil level can be monitored whilst the bike is being ridden, (on the move).

Unlike the oil level indicator (page 40) which has preconditions for the oil level check, namely:
Engine at operating temperature.
Engine idling for at least ten seconds.
Side stand retracted.
Make sure the motorcycle is upright.

I'm confused.com, can anybody help, thanks.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

From the wording in the manual I take it as YES. Like all crappy manuals it doesn't say how it works or at what oil level its activated.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like the oil level sensors might not be very reliable, https://advrider.com/f/threads/wethead- ... r.1187571/
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:From the wording in the manual I take it as YES.
This thread from R1200RFORUM.COM, https://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r ... lse-43681/ seems to confirm that on an LC, the low oil level warning can & does come on whilst the bike is being ridden, (in motion).

Also confirms the lack of reliability of the sensor.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

The other thing to bear in mind is the amount and type of information that BMW can glean from interrogating the ECU etc.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks for the links David. Obviously the warning light is not to be trusted. Maybe that may help OP. If the light did not come on with an oil leak he knew nothing about or could not see then how would you know there was a problem. Me thinks BMW should have a look.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In the T&C's of the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, there is a section about "Consequential Damage".

"We will pay for damage caused to a covered part if caused by another covered part."

If the oil level sensor can be proved to be defective & a low oil level has caused damage to the engine, could this be a case in point.
The oil level was checked by the owner prior to riding the bike & found to be correct. BMW have installed a warning system for low oil level which appears to have failed.

Recently experienced an example of "Consequential Damage". The front brake callipers were replaced on my TC, they were partially seized causing the brakes to bind.
New brake pads were fitted, perhaps the reason being that the pads may have worn more prematurely than expected due to the binding of the brakes.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hmmm, this is an interesting one.
To lose that amount of oil from a full sight-glass in so few miles then I can think of only two possibilities: It has been burnt or it has leaked. Either should have some tell-tale evidence which BMW should be able to trace. The only other option is that it has found it's way into the coolant (as can happen in some engines with head gasket issues) for that much oil to go so fast then there would have been other obvious signs.
Intrigued......
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sprintgull wrote:It has been burnt or it has leaked. Either should have some tell-tale evidence which BMW should be able to trace. The only other option is that it has found it's way into the coolant (as can happen in some engines with head gasket issues).
A test for hydrocarbons (from the oil) in the coolant may help with any diagnostics.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

So which dealership is dealing with this situation?
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Pickaxe wrote: So which dealership is dealing with this situation?

The Motorrad Centre in question is Coopers Tunbridge Wells, they won't investigate unless instructed by GB-BMW and the warranty technical team. They still haven't answer my question and just keep on referring me to the manual. Also GB-BMW customer services just keep referring me back to Coopers, Coopers keep referring me back to GB-BMW customer services.

So a general email sent to all including Germany before I start legal action and recover any losses to get the bike back on the road.

Appreciate the feedback and links provided.

GJ-MOTO
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GJ-MOTO wrote:The Motorrad Centre in question is Coopers Tunbridge Wells.
Cooper Tunbridge Wells & Sunderland (my nearest Motorrad dealer) are both part of the Inchcape Group, https://www.inchcape.co.uk/bmw/motorrad/, who's main focus is cars.

Although I've had good success with warranty claims etc. at Sunderland, they can be hard work.

Inchcape have a "Resolving Customer Complaints" section on their website, https://www.inchcape.co.uk/customer-care/
Last edited by David. on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

David. wrote: Cooper Tunbridge Wells & Sunderland (my nearest Motorrad dealer) are both part of the Inchcape Group, https://www.inchcape.co.uk/bmw/motorrad/, who's main focus is cars.

Although I've had good success with warranty claims etc. at Sunderland, they can be hard work.

Inchcape have a "Resolving Customer Complaints" section on their website, https://www.inchcape.co.uk/customer-care/

I've Cc my communication into a representative of inchcape, but although they have requested that information is supplied to me. Things have gone very quite, so I will give them a few more days before I send my final email informing them I seek a resolution before action is taken.

GJ-MOTO