Wired / Wireless intercom?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Sleuth

Wired / Wireless intercom?

Post by Sleuth »

Good morning,

The time has come to consider replacing my aging Sena SMH10.  While it has given significantly better performance than the Scala Rider G4, the battery life is not what it used to be, and it is not connecting always nicely with my GPS. (I think it has more to do with the disparity between the Bluetooth versions than anything else.) 

I have narrowed my choice to either wired (Autocom) or Wireless (Sena 30K, or 20S)

This post is totally about which should I choose, both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I am aware of a number of them (listed below),as I previously had an Autocom system.  This was before it could be inbuilt into the bike.  I am favouring the Autocom system mainly as on a couple of long rides with my wife, I ended up without being able to talk to her and hear the GPS instructions.

My requests are to all those that have a mounted, wired system;
  • Where do you have the connectors for rider & passenger? I would be grateful for any photos showing the location. (Ideally on a 1200RT, but I can use the ideas of other touring bikes.)
  • I am using the Zumo 595 GPS, are there connection issues?  Is there anything I should know / concerned about before purchasing the Autocom system? The zumo cabling has the wired connectors.
I have a 2010 1200RT without radio or onboard audio.

Advantages of Wired:
  • No power issues
  • When correctly set up unlimited power to the speakers
  • Instant & reliable connection
  • Once setup, works without adjustments.
Disadvantages of wired
  • Care when mounting / dismounting the bike
  • No long distance reach with passenger. (Was useful once in a shop for supplies be[size=78%])[/size]
  • Problematic when changing bikes
Advantages of Wireless:
  • The reverse of Wired
If anyone has either comments of going from wireless to wired, or on using wired on modern bikes, or on additional advantages / disadvantages, or on a related wired / wireless issue, it would greatly help me focus my decision.

The final decision is mine, and mine alone but helping me to focus on the answers will be very useful.

Thanks for your comments

I am also posting this in the following forums: www.bmwlt.com, and www.zumouserforums.co.uk

If this is in the incorrect place, please feel free to move it.

Best regards
Sleuth
Last edited by Sleuth on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, Sleuth
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Wired / Wireless intercom?

Post by leonjennings »

if you can live with the downside of wireless ALWAYS go for the wireless setup.

physically connecting will always be a pain
being able to talk to pillion on AND OFF the bike will very very useful especially if privacy is required. (its also fun if you people watch!)

Having a new bluetooth device should mean seamless connection with a number of devices probably at the same time if you do the homework.

2012 SE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleuth wrote:Where do you have the connectors for rider & passenger?
On my 2012 TC RT, the rider lead comes out between the tank & seat. The passenger lead comes out between the rider & passenger seat.
Sleuth wrote:I am using the Zumo 595 GPS, are there connection issues? Is there anything I should know / concerned about before purchasing the Autocom system? The zumo cabling has the wired connectors.
The Zumo 595 motorcycle mount & cables/connectors look very similar to that of the Zumo 660 on my bike. The "Audio Out" can be connected with an appropriate lead to the Autocom base unit, I've got a Logic. Autocom recommend the use of isolation adaptors/leads if both your Autocom and audio devices (GPS) are bike powered. For any questions, I've found Autocom themselves to be very helpful, their website has a Technical info. page, http://autocom.co.uk/helmet-communicati ... nuals.html
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I have Autocom with internal BT module. I use it with rechargeable batteries so making it portable between my two bikes. Keep the box in tank bag. Carry a set of spare rechargeable batteries but have never had to use them. Works well. However do get fed up with the leads.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

leonjennings wrote: if you can live with the downside of wireless ALWAYS go for the wireless setup.

If you can live the downside of WIRED always go for the WIRED setup!!

Wired is 100% reliable, wireless is nice but not 100%.

Now having said all that, why am I using the BMW System 7 helmet and Bluetooth on my 2018 RT? 

Well I want the wonder-wheel to adjust the volume in the helmet speakers and I was not able go to get my Autocom/Schubert to work with the Nav V and my mobile-phone, so I am giving the BMW setup designed for the RT a go. So far it is OK but there are a few issues.

The first issue (for me) is not being able to switch from bike to helmet speakers at the flick of a switch as I could with the Autocom. Instead you have to use the wonder-wheel to go "audio", speakers" and then "on/off" before having to reverse the process with three wonder-wheel "back flicks". For heavens sake 7 steps to turn the speakers on/off what were BMW thinking. For me this is a real pain as I find in heavy motorway traffic being able to output my rock music to the speakers really the drivers realise I am trying to filter past!!

The second is having to recharge the helmets battery every week or so, not a big deal so far but I do wonder what the inside of helmet will look like after a load more in/outs of the charging lead.

Finally the volume is too low in the helmet at motorway speeds, Autocom allow just that a bit more volume.

I used an Autocom wired system on my 1993 K75RT, 2001 R1150RT, 2008 R1200RT, and 2015 R1200RT and never found plugging into the bike an issue. It was simple and much easier than turning on a helmet mounted Bluetooth unit with gloved hands!

In the end it is a personnel choice and a balance between which functions are important to you.

2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I used to have an Autocom system, in fact most of it is still hanging up in the garage.

When I traded my first R1200RT for a 2010 model I removed the Autocom intending to fit it to the new bike.  Before I did, I was persuaded that a system 6 helmet and communication system would be better and, for me, that is the case.  The advantages of Bluetooth already mentioned apply and I don't miss the disadvantages of a wired system !

When on a trip, I charge my phone and helmet(s) as soon as I get checked in, which is a simple routine to ensure everything is fully charged to last the following day. This works extremely well for rider to pillion communication.  It works too for rider to rider, although the range is adequate at best, and only two communicators can be paired with each other at any one time.

I wouldn't go back to a wired system, but I'd consider a better quality BT system when the time comes for a new helmet .....  does anybody know of a BT system which will pair with the BMW communicator system ?

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Thanks for the comments,  they are all useful.

For myself the biggest issues I have with wireless are:
  1. Battery life, after a couple of years it runs out of juice quite quickly.
  2. Always needing to recharge
  3. It is not always 100% reliable
  4. Volume is rarely good enough at motorway speeds
I do not have a wonder wheel, so connecting the GPS / intercom does not really have an impact on me.

I am mainly looking to see if the old school wired intercom will work with the latest GPS without an issue.  If at all possible that the Bluetooth issues that are plaguing the Garmin GPS are solved with a Bluetooth - Smartphone & Wired to Intercom setup.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There will be those who swear by wire and those who like Bluetooth. Myself, I used to use wired, right up until my wifes cable cam adrift from the Helmet extension cable and ended up wrapped around my rear sprocket. That was it for wired for me. I have had a Scala Packtalk for around 4 years now and its fine, we can talk to each other at motorway speeds easily and its clear. I also use it to talk to my mate when we are away biking, he has the same setup. Volume wise, I fitted some aftermarket speakers to my helmets, but that was mainly for quality. The big advantage for me is, I ride different bikes, so it will work on any bike as there are no wires. Battery wise, I can do 12 - 15 hours before it needs charging and as I said my set is 4-5 years old now, I never ride for that length of time.

I also quite like being able to talk to my wife when she is off the bike, she quite often goes into petrol stations to pay for the fuel, so I can tell her when I'm done. Each to their own though, I have audio of my LC, it all works fine with the radio and Nav.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

I use a Starcom digital, which I think is made by the same company as Autocom. They do a nice bulkhead fitting kit and one of those goes nicely into the mirror opposite of the factory power socket; use a step drill to make the hole and it looks A1. I also put a 3.5mm jack extension to the right of it so the ball and chain can listen to her own music. My jack cable comes through to the glove box and my headset lead just comes out between tank and seat. and the nav plugs in as well and works flawlessly every time I switch it on.

A word to the wise, you ought to use a ground loop isolator when connecting a bike powered device to the bike powered comms unit, Starcom want £40 for one but farnell sell a like for like for a fiver.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/pls00548/ground-loop-isolator-3-5mm-p-s/dp/AV25542?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

There are people who claim that plugging in all the time is a ball ache but I don't agree, flat batteries are a ball ache - especially flat batteries that don't wont hold a charge.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote: There will be those who swear by wire and those who like Bluetooth. Myself, I used to use wired, right up until my wifes cable cam adrift from the Helmet extension cable and ended up wrapped around my rear sprocket. That was it for wired for me. I have had a Scala Packtalk for around 4 years now and its fine, we can talk to each other at motorway speeds easily and its clear. I also use it to talk to my mate when we are away biking, he has the same setup. Volume wise, I fitted some aftermarket speakers to my helmets, but that was mainly for quality. The big advantage for me is, I ride different bikes, so it will work on any bike as there are no wires. Battery wise, I can do 12 - 15 hours before it needs charging and as I said my set is 4-5 years old now, I never ride for that length of time.

I also quite like being able to talk to my wife when she is off the bike, she quite often goes into petrol stations to pay for the fuel, so I can tell her when I'm done. Each to their own though, I have audio of my LC, it all works fine with the radio and Nav.

+1 for the Bluetooth and the other off bike comms opportunities. I use a Scala Q3 with great success, talking to my wife on her bike with no issues whatsoever. Admittedly, bike to bike comms is only via Bluetooth!!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote:
+1 for the Bluetooth and the other off bike comms opportunities. I use a Scala Q3 with great success, talking to my wife on her bike with no issues whatsoever. Admittedly, bike to bike comms is only via Bluetooth!!

I used to have a Scala G9. The DMC comms bit of the Packtalk is far better for bike to bike and for normal intercom, so I use DMC rather than standard BT for both.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Graham88 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pmA word to the wise, you ought to use a ground loop isolator when connecting a bike powered device to the bike powered comms unit.

Starcom want £40 for one but Farnell sell a like for like for a fiver.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/pls00548/ground-loop-isolator-3-5mm-p-s/dp/AV25542?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte
I've ordered one of these from OnBuy.com, https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/noise-isolat ... earch_2000

Hopefully it'll do the same job as the one from Farnell which would have been ~£13 inc. delivery.
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Hi,

You can change the batterie inside your Sena, I did this and it's easy and less expensive
link => https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050022 ... PiTuNqnFW9
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:55 amI've ordered one of these from OnBuy.com, https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/noise-isolat ... earch_2000
After 2 weeks, the ground loop isolator turned up from OnBuy.com. Fitted it together with a 3.5mm "male to male" jack plug extension lead on my Yamaha XJ650. This is for the audio output from a Zumo 660 to an Autocom Logic hub. It has replaced a £45 Autocom 4066 isolation lead/adaptor and the volume output has improved.