An unusual request

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mhr43

An unusual request

Post by mhr43 »

I was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, which necessitated the removal of my bladder and a Urostomy.
I am soon to be allowed to return to motorcycling. Do any forum members have any experience of this. I am particularly looking for advice as to suitable motorcycling clothing.

CliveJ
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt lc. 2014
Great Britain

Re: An unusual request

Post by CliveJ »

Sorry to read about your medical condition but glad you are on the mend & preparing yourself to get back to your bike.  Regarding bike wear I would assume you mean trousers if so how about “bib & braces” type trousers which would remove the need for a belt.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

worth a chat with http://www.nabd.org.uk/ perhaps?
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Glad to hear the procedure is not going to stop you enjoying your life. My wife has an ileostomy & carries on quite normally,  she does try to get high waisted trousers to lessen the pressure on the area.
Obviously don't know how much information you have been told about it but this is a good place to look & talk with. There are lots of support groups too, check out your local one. They give plenty of advice.
https://www.coloplast.co.uk/stoma/peopl ... -urostomy/
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
wits
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by wits »

Speak to your urostomy nurse, they will have a good knowledge of produces available, should be able to find products that could work with your bike clothing now....
RT1200 LC 2018, Guzzi Breva 1100 2005 ...Now sold....
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Thank you and the several others who responded with helpful comments/advice.

My enquiry was really about motorcycle clothing (textile jackets/trousers) that is particularly suitable for ostomy users, rather than day to day clothing that can be worn on a motorcycle. Stoma nurses are very helpful in relation to 'general' clothing, but I have not been lucky enough to find one who rides a motorbike!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

mhr43 wrote: Thank you and the several others who responded with helpful comments/advice.

My enquiry was really about motorcycle clothing (textile jackets/trousers) that is particularly suitable for ostomy users, rather than day to day clothing that can be worn on a motorcycle. Stoma nurses are very helpful in relation to 'general' clothing, but I have not been lucky enough to find one who rides a motorbike!
Hello mhr43,
My wife, who has an ileostomy, rides her bike, a Burgman 650, without any real issues. Clothing wise, she wears a standard Hein Gericke textile jacket, not tight or tapered at the base, so fitting around the waist area not an issue. Trouser wise, she wears Draggin’ armoured denim jeans which fit comfortably around the waist, ie not tight or restricting in any way. For wet weather, she just uses a straightforward pair of waterproof over trousers with an elasticated waistband. Needless to say, riding a Burgman results in an upright posture, so that helps enormously with comfort etc. Urostomy versus ileostomy, I can’t comment on how each compare re clothing styles, but I guess both are similar, body position wise? Hope that helps. Good luck in your quest for comfortable bike clothing!🙂👍