General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Laying Up/Winter Storage

Post by David. »

freyguy17 wrote:I have never used vaseline to coat metal parts. Maybe it would be feasible to spray something like WD 40 on the metal instead. Any thoughts on this?
In the good old days, I used to apply Vaseline to chrome wheel rims, ride the bike through the winter & remove it come the spring.

Products like ACF-50 & XCP are corrosion inhibitors, they are fairly easy to apply, less messy & don't require removing.

Although garaged, condensation can still be an issue, both my bikes are protected with ACF-50. At least there is a barrier between the bare metal etc. & the moisture.

I'm not sure that fuel stabilizers are essential, but if it makes you feel better, then why not, I use Millers Tank Safe.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's that time of year again, ACF-50 man from AYB is coming to treat the RT today.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's that time of year again, ACF-50 man from AYB is coming to treat the RT.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i put a cover over it and it sits in the the front garden. i charge the battery every month or so

err, that's it!
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David your bike spends more time in Winter storage covered in ACF-50 than it does being ridden on the road, but yet you have brake problems, warranty claims and keep sending bits off for painting..... ;)

Ride the bloody thing year round and you wont have all these problems.

Anyway see you soon pal be
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

second that just wash after each ride

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I've wrapped mine up for winter this year, That road salt doesn't half know how to ruin a bikes good looks  :(  might even treat it to a can of Smoothrite  8)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not really sure what you guys are talking about, I ride all year around, this year is the first time I have had my bike treated with ACF 50, its a 2014 bike with 18k on the clock, no corrosion at all. Think you just need an excuse to give up riding :)

simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: Not really sure what you guys are talking about, I ride all year around, this year is the first time I have had my bike treated with ACF 50, its a 2014 bike with 18k on the clock, no corrosion at all. Think you just need an excuse to give up riding :)

So do I, 6k on my RT this year, 3K on my 650 Strom (winter hack) and 2.5K on my H-D on sunny days. Not bad going for someone who works full time and only rides at weekends, Hey ho, each to their own, It's all about enjoying riding, Not trying to prove how.... (fill in as you please)  :) 
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Started a bit of a Winter tidy up on the RT tonight, Just a few things that i felt needed a bit of attention to keep it's looks matching it's reliability really  8) 
Headers will be of to Camcoat for a dose of their finest Cermakrome ceramic coating to bring them back to their best.
Front of the engine will be stripped and repainted black where it's took a beating from having a crap fender extender on it.
Valve covers will be stripped back where required and re painted.
Foot peg hangers sent away to be powder coated to the same RAL number of the valve colours.
This is a 2011 bike with 30k miles on it and overall in pretty decent condition mechanically & aesthetically IMO. I've had zero 'serious' (two back light bulbs) problems in my ownership of the last two and a half years of riding all year round.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Will look great, a well loved bike  8)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

simbo wrote: Headers will be of to Camcoat for a dose of their finest Cermakrome ceramic coating to bring them back to their best.[size=78%]
I'd love to see some high quality pictures of these headers when you get them back. All the ceramic coatings I have seen thus far are far from glamorous.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

bandytales wrote: I'd love to see some high quality pictures of these headers when you get them back. All the ceramic coatings I have seen thus far are far from glamorous.

We shall see? I'll post some pics when I get them back in two weeks, anythings got to be better than the ugly greyish brown colour they go.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

simbo wrote:
We shall see? I'll post some pics when I get them back in two weeks, anythings got to be better than the ugly greyish brown colour they go.

Yes. How about Chrome plating?
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Chrome plating will just discolour  again, this ceramic coatings guaranteed to not change colour apparently.