General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Hi Guys,

I am now in possession of a BMW R1200RTP its a 2008 model the single overhead camshaft model I do believe.

Its got 79000 mls on the clock so seen a bit of life as they say. I have done some work just tinkering really maintenance mainly.

I have one outstanding problem which I am sure someone here will be able to advise me and that's resetting the time clock I can't work that out.

Other than that I am just getting to know the bike. I have some other BMW's as well namely an F650 Funduro and a R100rs.
Hope to hear from people here and to get to know the forum
Thanks for reading this and have a good day as they say!

Dave
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New Member

Post by milleplod »

Morning Dave, and welcome to the forum.
It's just run-in nicely at that mileage!
Re the clock - ignition on, press and hold the right-hand button on the panel till the 'hours' start to flash. Then press it repeatedly till you get the hour that you need....keep it pressed down at that point till the 'minutes' start to flash. Press repeatedly again till you see the minutes that you need....keep it pressed down till flashing stops. Job done!
Pete
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Hello Dave,
Welcome.

Best regards, Sleuth
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that like all things easy when you know how!!

I'm looking forward to riding it a bit more when weather permits

I'm taking it for a service/check over and service reset.

Mostly I want to look after it myself as I am reasonably competent in that area, of course BMW want to lock you out of doing it yourself but I've already started going over it by taking various bolts apart and greasing them prior to re assembling them making life easier later.

I had the front wheel out and had that blasted and powder coated, I'll do the same to the heel plates as they have been neglected later the rear wheel as well.
Up grade on the headlights to LED and fitted a Garmin mount.
The bike has an Aux battery which I will use via a relay to power various other stuff like spots.

All in good time as they say but thanks again

Regards
Dave
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Evening Dave.
Yes, they're a good bike to have from the home-servicing angle - everything's relatively straightforward, the only thing I don't do is throttle-body balancing as I don't have the kit. I had my previous 1200ST for 6/7 years, my first boxer (K1200R-Sport prior to that) and got a lot of 'tuition' from Jim von Baden's very helpful videos - http://www.jvbproductions.com/

One thing I'd either get the dealer to check, or check yourself if you want to keep the bill down (!), is the rear drive - worth draining the oil out to see what it's like and what's in it - grey swirls and a talc-like feel to anything suspended in it is fine, metal particles aren't, and mean the case-hardening on the pinion bearing, amongst other things, is breaking down. On your bike, it should only take 30 mins to drain and refill it (180-200ml) as the plug's in the right place - I have to drop the whole drive unit on mine, as my plug is in the wrong place!

Pete

Pete
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Hi Pete,
Thanks great link I've saved it.

I've booked it in to a local BMW independent for a service and check over after that I hope to be doing it all myself I'll check he does a Throttle body sync as well.
I'm sure I'll find a wealth of help here. I have looked into a reader something called a GS 911 but was not sure about it as although it seemed a cheap option at £35 they were going on about £25.00 each time you did a read and reset so I left that alone. I just really want to be able to reset the service flag and read any fault codes. I hope that there will be some info here but I'm time sort at this moment to study it too much at this time hence the service option. They say it will be about £200 so defiantly a one off this time
Dave
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Morning Dave.

A good indy is worth his weight in gold! Which one are you booked in with? Are you saying they want an extra £35 to plug your bike in to the GS911? Or is it included in the £200? Whichever, it's worth having done as you'll then know things are OK. Some things don't show up as fault codes - failing coils, for example, so the 911 isn't the be-all and end-all of diagnostics that some people claim. It's an expensive bit of kit to buy, although used ones crop up on forums occasionally....I've never bothered tbh, if my bike ever has need of one, there are a few indies nearby, as well as a few individuals who'll do it for the price of a beer or two!

There is an app available called motoscan. It has a lot of the functionality of a GS911, and I think you'd need an adapter for your bike, but it might be worth having a look at it.

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Hi Pete, No the £200 is for service and reset. The other thing was a gs 911 on eBay for £35 I'll link it here :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAGNOSTIC-T ... 1438.l2649

I contacted him asking about it and this was the reply :-

Hi Dave

Please look at this

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-9 ... tion-chart

Is shows what the unit can do, please confirm the type of connecting plug you have (round 10 pin etc)

As per the information £25 is for fault finding/clearing only, if you want the service clock reset as well it is £35, however every future fault read and service set thereafter will be £20.

Its because you take up a limited live slot on the system with a clock reset hence a little bit more for the first one.

Best Wishes

Andrew

So I was not any the wiser and it seemed odd to me but I don't have any real understanding of this sort of stuff. I just wanted to be able to read any fault codes and reset the service flag.

Anyway this will be done at this service and I'll be £200 lighter in my pocket OUCH! link here :-

.http://www.studleysmotorcycles.co.uk/

Thanks again
Dave
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Ah, I understand now! The eBay seller has his own GS911 and is selling the use of it - you visit him, he does the code read/clear. There's quite a few of them on eBay. Perhaps have a look at Motoscan if you're wanting to be able to do it yourself at home, quite a few owners over on UKGSer are using it I think.
£200 for a service, once-over and reset is good value I reckon, you'll have peace of mind......did you price it up at a main dealer??!  :alas:
Pete
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Hi Pete,

I will for the time just have this service, later look into the diagnostics, may be I can find someone local to me who has one and pay them via here who knows. I really only want a check for faults and service reset.

I did ask CW motorcycles and they were looking at circa £300.

I am not sure what either are actually including in there service. I would hope all oil changes plus oil and air filters, plugs, sync of injectors, valve clearances

I can do all this except the injectors and the diagnostics and service reset. I am hoping their experience will also let me know the general condition of the engine and gearbox as I don't have experience of this era of bike.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:One thing I'd either get the dealer to check, or check yourself, is the rear drive - worth draining the oil out to see what it's like and what's in it - grey swirls and a talc-like feel to anything suspended in it is fine.
Although not on my RT, thought it might be worth posting this. I've got a 1981 Yamaha XJ650 which I've had from new, it's done over 48,000 miles. The FD unit oil has been changed regularly as often as every 2,000 miles. Normally, the oil drained out looks as good as new, with no discolouration. Over recent oil changes, the oil has become contaminated, looks grey with swirls as described above. Decided to remove the FD unit for a.n.other to overhaul. There is evidence of an oil seal failing, my guess is this is the cause of the oil contamination. The drain plug is magnetic, there are no signs of metal particles.

On my TC RT, both the gearbox & FD unit oils are not contaminated in this way.