Spare Key

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
matgriff

Spare Key

Post by matgriff »

Hi everyone

I just bought a lovely 2005 RT1200RT, 19K miles one owner.  I have a key for the bike, plus one for the top box, plus a little black plastic key ?

What's that for ?

Thanks

Mat
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Spare Key

Post by milleplod »

Hi Mat.
The black one is your spare key, courtesy of BMW's cost-cutting! It should start the bike and lock/unlock factory panniers and topbox - is your topbox an aftermarket one? You can get the plastic key converted to a metal one - the transponder is embedded in the plastic but can be removed and transferred to a 'proper' key - or, of course, you can get a metal one from BMW for around £40 I believe. Blanks are all over eBay for peanuts - they have a little pull-out bit that holds the transponder - drop it in, click the pull-out back into place, get it cut, job done! Mine cost £3 for 2 blanks from China - including delivery - and £10 to get one cut.
Oh, welcome to the forum btw!

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

Ah... OK thanks for the info. I'll look for some blanks on ebay then. My topbox is a genuine BMW, but has a different key to the one that does the ignition and panniers. The topbox is also a slightly different mat silver.

First time I've rode an R1200 RT (or any boxer) I cant believe how light it feels on the road.

I also have a Ducati ST4

Thanks

Mat
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Hi Mat.
You can have the lock in the topbox recoded to fit the bike's original key - I transferred the smaller, genuine topbox from my written-off 1200ST to my '06 RT earlier this year, using a different key was winding me up no end! There are instructional videos on YouTube - the locks use metal 'wafers' in varying positions which can be moved around in the barrel to suit a given key. However, some aren't recodeable, unless you take a grinder to them! Tbh, I sent mine off to one of the guys over on Boxertrix who works in a dealer, cost me a couple of packets of quality Belgian chocolate cookies! The hardest bit was getting the lock out of the topbox in the first place - very fiddly indeed, but the guy at the dealer sent me BMW's instructions on how to knock up a wire tool to get to the release pin....I managed it eventually!
Yes, they do feel lighter than you'd expect, don't they!
Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Recoding instructions here - http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk/pdfs/re-keying-49l.pdf
Special tool dimensions  - note that the end used to press in the release pin is best sharpened to a point. [attachimg=1]

Pete
Attachments
ATool.jpg
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

I tried to remove the barrel as described in the PDF above, absolute PITA, gave up after ten minutes in favour of removing the inner shell. This gives you all the access you need and the whole thing can be done and back together in half an hour.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Graham88 wrote: I tried to remove the barrel as described in the PDF above, absolute PITA, gave up after ten minutes in favour of removing the inner shell. This gives you all the access you need and the whole thing can be done and back together in half an hour.
I found it frustrating, to put it mildly! Once I'd done it though, and mastered the technique, I find I can now do it in less than a minute, it's just a case of knowing exactly where the release pin is hiding!
Pete
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

Thanks for the info, ordered two spare keys today.

Also just read up that my alarm battery (under the seat) needs replacing, as the bike displays DWA and a battery symbol when I turn it on. Ordered two CR123 lithium ones today.

Going to do a service at the weekend, oil(s) filters etc etc inc final drive and gearbox.

Thanks

Mat
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

Just an update on this post.

I replaced both batteries in the alarm unit, and both keyfob batteries. Nothing on the alarm worked, so I went through the registering process for the fobs + the programming sequence and everything now works fine :-)

Are these alarms pretty reliable in normal service ?

It's a 2005 R1200RT by the way

Thanks
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

I'd say they are Mat, based on years....and years!....of BMW bike forum membership, and not having seen much mention of alarm issues!  :)

Pete
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

OK good news :-)

Thanks

Mat