Oil level window

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

Re: Oil level window

Post by bandytales »

[size=2px]
Graham88 wrote:
[/size][size=2px][size=2px]I personally wouldn't use any abrasives, let alone a dremel! It will end up out of round if not exceptionally careful. [/size][size=2px][size=2px][/quote][/size]
Buck wrote: Surely if the seal is at the back of the cast you want to make sure that the window seal is not damaged when it is pressed in?

The seal is not just on the internal face, it is all around the side, so that face should be squeaky clean. Unless your Dremel has a polishing mop on it, I would not let it anywhere near the bike. The speed those things can remove material is frightening.
Buck
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018

Post by Buck »

Tried to put the new seal in with a 30mm socket and rubber hammer. Half way in and the glass cracked. I have seen other members that have gone through several seals before getting one fully home so decided to get the bike picked up and let the dealer do it. It will obviously cost me an arm and a leg but I just have not got the right tools!  :beee:
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Buck wrote: Tried to put the new seal in with a 30mm socket and rubber hammer. Half way in and the glass cracked. I have seen other members that have gone through several seals before getting one fully home so decided to get the bike picked up and let the dealer do it. It will obviously cost me an arm and a leg but I just have not got the right tools!  :beee:

Bum. that's a shame.
What lubricant did you use? Did you heat the housing up before attempting to insert it?
Buck

Post by Buck »

No did not heat it up, (didn't think of it) left a smear of oil on inner surface and gently tapped with a rubber hammer.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Buck wrote: No did not heat it up, (didn't think of it) left a smear of oil on inner surface and gently tapped with a rubber hammer.

I know it's too late now, but didn't you see my post from the BMW manual on how to insert it using only brake cleaner?
Buck

Post by Buck »

Sorry must have missed it! I should get a call from the dealer this week. Just so I am forewarned it went up there with the oil drained, side casings off and old seal out. I have asked them to press a new seal in then I suppose they will want to fill it up with fresh oil to check it. I  can't see it taking more than a couple of hours with the right tools. Has anyone had this done before, and has any comparative costs?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i think that's going to be a £150 bill at least
Buck

Post by Buck »

I would be quite happy with that! But knowing our local dealer i think it will be a lot more. I may be pleasantly suprised. Will post when I find out.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

so what happened in the end?
Buck

Post by Buck »

The bike has been up the local BMW dealer for three weeks now! Went up last week and they said there mechanic had been sick. Must phone them today and see what is going on.  >:(
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Buck wrote: The bike has been up the local BMW dealer for three weeks now! Went up last week and they said there mechanic had been sick. Must phone them today and see what is going on.  >:(
Just the one mechanic?......at a dealer.....??!  :eek:
Pete
Buck

Post by Buck »

Yep, not good. Just got the bike back. Took over three weeks and they charged me £157 and it looks like it was left outside at least once. Won't be going back there. Busy taking all the panels off now to give it a good clean and wire in a new GPS.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Well it is good to see you got it back.
All but 200 dollars and three weeks is a lot of money and a lot of time.

Buck

Post by Buck »

Glad to get her back! Better in my garage than theirs. Now just put her back together and polish her up. Then wait for some good weather to get back out on the road. Best bike i have ever owned.