Back to RT1200

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Trilergy

Back to RT1200

Post by Trilergy »

Back after a few years out.
Moved to a K1600 a few years back which was abruptly stopped by an idiot doing a Uturn 4 car lengths from me at 60kph. Fortunately only a broken rib and a leg scar for me...the bike was a write off. (his car wasn't much better) 
Anyway after 2 1/2 years off Im back on a 2017 rt1200.
Previously had 2 and am really impressed with the upgrades.
A slight downgrade only from the 1600 I power and ride ( a very different bike) but not in technology and bike inclusions. Looking forward to catching up on the forums.
bandytales

Re: Back to RT1200

Post by bandytales »

Trilergy wrote: Back after a few years out.
Moved to a K1600 a few years back which was abruptly stopped by an idiot doing a Uturn 4 car lengths from me at 60kph. Fortunately only a broken rib and a leg scar for me...the bike was a write off. (his car wasn't much better) 
A slight downgrade only from the 1600 I power and ride ( a very different bike) but not in technology and bike inclusions. Looking forward to catching up on the forums.

Welcome back!
bieffe
Bike Model and Year: bmw 1200 rt 2007
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

Post by bieffe »

Nice to hear that you are again on RT.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

the 17 plate is an improvement over my 16 plate one, Im on an RT break and enjoying the new 1250gs but still interested :)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Welcome back!!
Booger man

Post by Booger man »

Trilergy wrote: Back after a few years out.

I had a K16 too, great bike just a little on the heavy side. Two great bikes but there just different from each other
wethead

Post by wethead »

bandytales wrote:
Welcome back!

Exactly my experience without the wreck. I am impressed with the upgrade on my 2018, and depressed that I may have to get a 2019 after I test ride it.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Trilergy

Post by Trilergy »

Loving the quickshift and updated tech.
Just added a topbox. Much improved over previous  versions.
I've added usb power.
A few challenges but happy with the outcome. SAE plugs very useful.
Surprised on doing a search for topbox dissmantle with no results. Had me stumped for a while but worked it out eventually. Managed to thread new cables through existing cabling routes.
Not sure why BMW continue with powerlet outlets when clearly they have no??? value. USBs everywhere please :) 
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Trilergy wrote: Not sure why BMW continue with powerlet outlets when clearly they have no??? value. USBs everywhere please :)

Have you tried running an electric tyre inflator from a USB port?
John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Trilergy wrote: Loving the quickshift and updated tech.
Just added a topbox. Much improved over previous  versions.
I've added usb power.
A few challenges but happy with the outcome. SAE plugs very useful.
Surprised on doing a search for topbox dissmantle with no results. Had me stumped for a while but worked it out eventually. Managed to thread new cables through existing cabling routes.
Not sure why BMW continue with powerlet outlets when clearly they have no??? value. USBs everywhere please :)

What! How do you run your heated clothing / tyre compressor / Battery charger / Bike powered flashlight....etc, etc
wethead

Post by wethead »

I have a pigtail on mine to run the air compressor, and a two USB plug for the outer electrical outlet on the right side of the bike below the throttle side--more or less...doesn't everyone?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

wethead wrote: I have a pigtail on mine to run the air compressor, and a two USB plug for the outer electrical outlet on the right side of the bike below the throttle side--more or less...doesn't everyone?

It would appear not  :)
[size=2px]All my USB requirements are met by the OEM connector inside the R/H 'glove box'. [/size]
[size=2px]All my big power in/out requirements are by the OEM style connectors, fused of course [/size] ;D [size=2px] . (which I have added and are mounted [/size][size=78%]neatly[/size][size=2px] on the left hand triangular side panel.[/size]
wethead

Post by wethead »

nifty

I don't have a radio, thus no right hand compt.
Oneillmartin

Post by Oneillmartin »

I have a usb leed in the right hand compartment but when I plug the phone charger in it doesn’t work ..... any ideas
LAF

Post by LAF »

Yes you blew the fuse that is at the nose of the front seat once removed.  One of the two is your Aux fuse.  It does not take much to blow one.  However your phone should not have as that is about all it is good for.  But if you or someone else tried anything else it probably is blown.