Easy Access to Battery for Trickle-Charging over the Winter.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
euphony290

Easy Access to Battery for Trickle-Charging over the Winter.

Post by euphony290 »

RT 1200 (2015 model).
Can anyone suggest a method, or accessory, to make easier access to the battery to enable the trickle-charger to be used periodically?
Any thoughts / advice welcome!!!
Thanks!
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Easy Access to Battery for Trickle-Charging over the Winter.

Post by B787MECH »

The Optimate 4 is ideal for this. Using the BMW Din plug lead connected to the bikes accessory socket you can leave it permanently connected while the bike is being stored for winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree easiest option. Just make sure its setup for CanBus. In CanBus mode it tells the computer to keep the bike's socket live so you can charge the bike. Did easy and works well.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

As the last 2 posts have said, this is the easiest option.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

I use an SAE connector to the battery - post & the + terminal on the engine rear(Red Cap) then locate the Female end under the seat. I use a generic smart charger with the male SAE connector to maintain the charge on the bike over winter, never had a problem with this method.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I use the  Optimate via the Canbus, one issue I did have with a 2017 RT was the battery after a year was shot. Turns out there was a software update for the bike as there was a bug in the battery management. Since that was updated I have had no issues with
euphony290

Post by euphony290 »

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have an Optimate already set up in the garage but didn't know about the bike's Canbus system as this is the 1st Winter I have had the RT. I will look into that as it seems to be the best and safest way to maintain the bike's battery over the winter period.
Thanks again guys!
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

euphony290 wrote: Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have an Optimate already set up in the garage but didn't know about the bike's Canbus system as this is the 1st Winter I have had the RT. I will look into that as it seems to be the best and safest way to maintain the bike's battery over the winter period.
Thanks again guys!
I believe it's only the Optimate 4 that can charge in Canbus mode. I don't think other Optimate models will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

euphony290 wrote: Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have an Optimate already set up in the garage but didn't know about the bike's Canbus system as this is the 1st Winter I have had the RT. I will look into that as it seems to be the best and safest way to maintain the bike's battery over the winter period.
Thanks again guys!
My previous 14 lc & this 17 lc have been put on the charger via the accessory socket after every ride. Have had no problems with the battery or starting on either.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

B787MECH wrote: I believe it's only the Optimate 4 that can charge in Canbus mode. I don't think other Optimate models will work.

Any Optimate will maintain the battery, but if it's not a model designed for Canbus machines you'll need to fit a flying lead to the battery.

I did that on my '66 plate bike because I have trust issues with Canbus regarding charging via the accessory socket and my ability to select the correct mode on my Optimate 4 !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE