2016 RT With A Rear Car Tire

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
guest2368

Re: 2016 RT With A Rear Car Tire

Post by guest2368 »

This whole thing reminds me of my diving days.  Picking up the pieces, and unfortunately bodies, when people would spend the price of an RT on diving gear and trips then try to save £20 here and there by buying cheap parts and pushing consumables to their absolute limit.  Just buy the correct part for the job and treat it well folks!  Motorcycling, like diving, is slightly more hazardous then international tiddly winks so why compromise your safety to save, compared to the total cost of motorcycling, peanuts?  I get about 5-6k miles from a back tire, so saving approx. £500 over 20,000 miles (£0.025 pence per mile) while compromising my safety, bike handling and legality (in the UK anyway) does not compute, sorry.
An old engineer I used to work with was fond of the phrase "if it looks wrong, it probably is"...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

As already stated, its illegal in the UK and probably Europe to run anything but motorcycle tyres on motorcycles. So if you do, and have a crash, don't expect any pay outs from your insurance. It would also invalidate your MOT if your bike is old enough to need one. So its academic really on this side of the pond.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Tell you what, how about running a Goodyear runflat car tyre, win, win!
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,breath. Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Murgie

Post by Murgie »

Wow, you guys were pretty hard on the Yank.  What was he thinking?  Running a CT on a R1200?  Do you think you are giving up so much handling and grip running the set up you are using now?  I would like to show a video from last year on this very subject.  I was on my Wing following a S1000RX (leading) then Ducati Multi Strada, and the R1200 RT, the bike in front of me.  All very competent riders.

https://youtu.be/SFjX_YEqHWg

Me?  I am on a car tyre (tire).  Either I am lucky or the mechanical advantage isn't as great as once thought.  We all average under 2000 miles on a set of tires.  BTW, my other bike is a R1200RT and I am only getting about 1500 miles on a set of tires.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I think we're burying the lead here:  what rear bike tire was giving you 9,000 miles????  I think most of us would be ecstatic with that.  I just finished a 10,000 mile trip, but I doubt many others besides you exceed 9k miles on a tour.
vulcanbike
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by vulcanbike »

I guess it depends on the road surfaces one rides on. Put a set of Bridgestone T30 on in April. Have 12000 miles on now and at 3mm of tread left in the centre.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Murgie wrote: Wow, you guys were pretty hard on the Yank.  What was he thinking?  Running a CT on a R1200?  Do you think you are giving up so much handling and grip running the set up you are using now?  I would like to show a video from last year on this very subject.  I was on my Wing following a S1000RX (leading) then Ducati Multi Strada, and the R1200 RT, the bike in front of me.  All very competent riders.

https://youtu.be/SFjX_YEqHWg

Me?  I am on a car tyre (tire).  Either I am lucky or the mechanical advantage isn't as great as once thought.  We all average under 2000 miles on a set of tires.  BTW, my other bike is a R1200RT and I am only getting about 1500 miles on a set of tires.

It's not just the profile that counts.

For motorcycle tyres one of the key design parameters is warm-up time. When we leave the garage a cold and frosty (or damp) morning, we want the tyres to reach their optimum working temperature as quickly as possible. You can't fall off a car, obviously, so they are designed to different parameters.
I would hate to have a m/c front tyre at optimum temperature with a rear car tyre which was still "cold".

Warm-up times are often a differentiator between touring tyres and sports tyres.
John Bentall
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

It's not so much a case of being hard on the Yank, just that it's regarded to be an extremely foolhardy practice here in the UK (& Europe) which both invalidates your insurance policy (in the event of a claim) and fails the MoT annual roadworthiness inspection. Mind you, this thread makes for interesting reading, and like so many things in life, it needs a pioneering spirit to occasionally push the boundaries (in a controlled way!), and which I believe is a very positive American personality trait.

How does a car tyre fitted to the rear of an RT handle on twisties in the wet...?? Ride safe on your car tyres stateside! ;)
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

With all the pros and cons of fitting a car tyre on the rear of a motorcycle, why not simply have a trike?
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

Here's a link to a very good post on this subject.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10 ... -tire.html
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
Murgie

Post by Murgie »

Steve F wrote: ...

How does a car tyre fitted to the rear of an RT handle on twisties in the wet...?? Ride safe on your car tyres stateside! ;)

Not bad at all, in fact better than the tires on this car I was about to over take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ2OB_FzjVs
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Murgie wrote:
Not bad at all, in fact better than the tires on this car I was about to over take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ2OB_FzjVs
:alas: Classy braking on a bend in the wet!! Thank heavens you didn’t overtake! ;)
PoorUB

Post by PoorUB »

I read this thread and got quite a chuckle out of it! I never have run a car tire on a motorcycle, but I am not as closed minded as some and understand why someone would do it.

Also, for the guys hung up on cost, consider the hassle factor dealing with replacing a tire while traveling. It could take up the better part of a day getting it done. I want to vacation on my time off, not sit a a dealer and wait for a tire change!