No self-canceling turn signals after turns

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

No self-canceling turn signals after turns

Post by jackronner »

This feature has been around since the early 80's at least, yet they couldn't add this important feature to their list of hi-tech doodads?
Besides being annoying, it can be dangerous.  Before the 13 some odd blinks limiter turns them off,  you can be telling a car aheadr that wants to turn into you lane at an intersection that it's OK, since you're apparently signaling a turn, so you'll be slowing down and also leaving the lane free for his turn right in front of you.

Has anyone at BMW or otherwise offered a reason/rationale for this omission?  I can't think of one.
bandytales

Re: No self-canceling turn signals after turns

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: This feature has been around since the early 80's at least, yet they couldn't add this important feature to their list of hi-tech doodads?

Can't agree with you.
Use of Indicators is part of your roadcraft that you should take pride in, just the same as road positioning, speed awareness, lifesavers, use of mirrors, constant monitoring of road surfaces, etc etc. Indicators are integral for many maneuvers and shouldn't be left to a bikes algorithm to decide when to switch them off. 
martinh

Post by martinh »

I agree with bandytales, none of the self cancelling indicators I have used work properly anyway!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

My slew of V65 Magna dinosaurs never had a problem over 17 yrs of use in this regard.  A simple switch attached to the steering column sufficed.  Would you rather your car not have this feature?  What about the self-canceling feature that shuts it off after a fixed number of flashes (again, present on all vehicles) - would you rather not have that? Seriously?  I'll take safety over pride any day, and a lapse of attention to this detail falsely communicates your intention to other drivers, as I outlined in my OP, potentially giving dangerous results. 
Last edited by jackronner on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

The RT is the first bike I have ever had with Self cancelling indicators and I hate it. I have spent my whole Motorcycle riding cancelling my own indicators but there is nothing worse that coming down a slip road and round a large roundabout almost being taken out by a car cause the indicators went off.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote:
Has anyone at BMW or otherwise offered a reason/rationale for this omission?  I can't think of one.

Even though I don't like self cancelling indicators, there is a company that makes and sells them:
https://www.safer-turn.com/smart-turn-s ... gJATvD_BwE
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

jackronner wrote: This feature has been around since the early 80's at least, yet they couldn't add this important feature to their list of hi-tech doodads?
Besides being annoying, it can be dangerous.  Before the 13 some odd blinks limiter turns them off,  you can be telling a car aheadr that wants to turn into you lane at an intersection that it's OK, since you're apparently signaling a turn, so you'll be slowing down and also leaving the lane free for his turn right in front of you.

I was a little surprised with this when I got my 17' RT. My previous HD had the self-cancelling blinkers- they worked perfectly and I loved them. I would definitely prefer this feature with the RT, but, oh well. I've adjusted fine by using the directionals manually. 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

RTtourer wrote:
I was a little surprised with this when I got my 17' RT.

Your '17RT does self cancel. That in itself is a problem.
I can't remember the time, but if you are filtering past stuff with your indicator on, it switches off after a while. Not good.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

My post concerned a canceling feature which only activates after completion of a sharp turn (my recollection is that they didn't cancel after a shallow turn, such as a lane change on the highway), not the cancelation after a set number of flashes (which my 2005 RT does have - about 13, which is preferable to previous bikes I've had which shut them off too quickly, maybe 8 flashes or so). 

The Beemers are so intelligently designed that I thought there might be some valid reason for omitting a feature which is present on almost every vehicle on the road, no matter how many wheels.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hmmm, it seemed on mine that the indicators did not self cancel if I was pottering about in town or waiting to turn at a junction, but DO self cancel when on an open road, like an overtake on the motorway.  That indicates that there's some sort of context algorithm on the bike.  I'll check it out next time -  probably National Road Rally this Saturday.
johnarthur

Post by johnarthur »

Sometimes reading the manual helps.  It reads "The turn indicators are cancelled automatically after you have ridden for approximately 10 seconds AND have covered a distance of about 300 m."  My capitals.
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

You can have your dealer reprogram them stay on longer or shorter.
Last edited by Pabst on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Pabst wrote: You can have your dealer reprogram them stay on longer or shorter.
And thus there is the best solution!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blueboy
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I always turn them off as soon as I’ve got round the corner. If there are multiple side streets I dont want to give other motorists the wrong impression. I wonder how many accidents have come about through late or no indicator cancellation.
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

Blueboy wrote: And thus there is the best solution!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanted mine shorter and my dealer made them longer, they now stay on for 548 meters, back I go. :not:
Last edited by Pabst on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.