Top box questions.

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
PhilMill

Top box questions.

Post by PhilMill »

Hi guys, so I was lucky enough to get s second hand box for my new RT, not the right colour but hey, its already away to be sprayed. So a couple of questions, when I removed to back rest there was a wire under there, what's the for? I also found the brake light wiring under the cover, I'll be adding that later. The my second question, I didn't get a key with the box, as I have central losing do i need to bother getting the lock coded? I'm assuming its just a new barrel from BMW? Obviously it wont be cheap hence my question about the central locking.

Thanks, Phil
Too many bikes, not enough time!
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Re: Top box questions.

Post by RTs4me »

Hi Phil,

I bought a second-hand box too, and had the lid painted to match my bike! I fitted the high-level brake light.

I'm told that the wire under the backrest is there to power a heated backrest, not fitted to RTs, but is fitted to some other models which use the same box (some K1600 versions?).

As you say, if the central locking works, then in theory, a key is not needed. I erred on the side of caution and asked the previous owner of the box to order a 'dumb' (no transponder) grey key to match the box and reimbursed him for the cost. Having a key allows me to open the box manually if the central locking fails.

There's a couple of videos on YouTube on how to remove and recode the lock barrel. You could recode the existing barrel to suit your bikes fob key blade or fit a complete new lock and key, with a 'random' key, not matched to your bike, which could go with the box if you eventually sell it separate to the bike.

Hope this helps! :)
Tim
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My top box has an internal light which comes on when I open the lid.
I don't think there's a heating element in the backrest.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

Thanks Tim, I'd never heard about the heating element option... As for central locking and key, I guess its my only option for now, I'll talk to the dealer when I take it for its 600 mile service about getting the old lock out and what to do from there.

Phil
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

follow utube and do yourself very easy to change pins .
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

BoB21 wrote: follow utube and do yourself very easy to change pins .

Thanks, will have look.

Phil
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

If you have the top box which will take a high level brake light, check once you have the top box fitted to the bike and electrically connected that the internal courtesy light works.  Then make sure you don't leave the bike sitting with the top box open for a couple of weeks because you will find the battery is flat.  DAMHIK !

If you have central locking and the top box is unlocked, then fitting the top box and operating the central locking will prevent the top box from opening - therefore you don't "need" a key.  I never lock my panniers or top box with the key, I rely on the central locking.  The only issue then is if / when you want to remove the top box ..... then you need a key !
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

gogs01 wrote:
If you have central locking and the top box is unlocked, then fitting the top box and operating the central locking will prevent the top box from opening - therefore you don't "need" a key.  I never lock my panniers or top box with the key, I rely on the central locking.  The only issue then is if / when you want to remove the top box ..... then you need a key !

Thanks, but I'm confused, why do I need a key to remove the box? surely it's just a case of turning the knob in the base of the box? I haven't been brave enough yet to hit the lock key when its shut however  :silence:

Phil
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

PhilMill wrote:
Thanks, but I'm confused, why do I need a key to remove the box? surely it's just a case of turning the knob in the base of the box? I haven't been brave enough yet to hit the lock key when its shut however  :silence:

Phil

SORRY ! 
You are absolutely correct, I was thinking back to my previous three RT top boxes, where the lock had the same three positions as the panniers.
So, without a key you will be able to attach and remove the top box and lock / unlock it using the central locking.
Apologies for causing confusion.
Trilergy

Post by Trilergy »

Pulled my new ordered top box apart to add USB power cable. There is definitely a cable behind the backrest and one for the brake light.
jackhd

Post by jackhd »

I have a top box from BMW on my 2015 R1200RT
It had a brake lite only on it
It had a truck lite but not working
Took apart wiring made into a diagram.  Then then wired a hex ez can.  Now I have a pulsating brake lite which also now is a running lite. Hooked trunck lite when I now open it goes on for 30 seconds and shuts off

Trilergy

Post by Trilergy »

How did you wire the hex for the brake light?
Did you use the canbus wired circuit or direct from hex?
jackhd

Post by jackhd »

Direct  from hex to trunk brake lite.
Also hex to Clearwater spot lites on front of bike