NAV VI Voice Prompts via BMW Audio System?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
jbarr

NAV VI Voice Prompts via BMW Audio System?

Post by jbarr »

Is there any simple way to be able to receive the NAV VI voice prompts through my 2017 RT audio system?  Or must I invest in a blue tooth communication system for my helmet?  I find it incredible that I can't get the GPS voice commands through the audio system.
kioolt
United States of America

Re: NAV VI Voice Prompts via BMW Audio System?

Post by kioolt »

Are you asking if you can get the voice prompts through the bike speakers and without using a headset?  I have heard voice prompts through my bikes speakers on my 2018RT before I got my bluetooth headset.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Yes, that is what I am asking.  I have been unable to get voice commands through the speakers of my 2017 RT.  I do occasionally hear a "beep" through the RT's audio system that I think is caused by the GPS, but that is it.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I believe there is a menu setting for turning on voice prompts in the NAV VI.  Have you tried looking at the NAV VI settings?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Sorry to take so long to reply....yes I have turned on voice prompts in the NAV VI menu but I still get nothing.  If you are certain that you can get them through your RT's speakers then I will have to play with the menus again and see if I can get it to work.  I have asked the dealer about this and they are under the impression it won't work through the bike's speakers but they are a small dealership and I am not sure if they are correct.  Thanks kioolt.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Have you posted on the BMW Luxury Touring forum, there is a large RT section and most are in North America, so would probably be more likely to have speakers on than in Europe
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

No I haven't...thanks for the suggestion
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

jbarr wrote: No I haven't...thanks for the suggestion

It has been known that the audio out connector on the Navigator cradle has not been properly plugged into the bike wiring loom.

John
John Bentall
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Works on mine OK. I have been known to forget that I have muted the sat nav on occasions tho....
Bernie
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
United States of America

Post by Bernie »

JBarr, you have to have the bike audio system turned on. Select either radio, usb, sat or aux. Then if your GPS is not muted you should be able to hear the GPS directions from the bike speakers.
It is not really explained properly in the BMW manuals.

Bernie
Bernie
Jax, FL
2023 R1250RT, Triple Black
2018 R1200RT, Alpinweiss, 101,800 Smiles! SOLD. 
2007 R1200RT, Double Silver 188,700 Smiles, SOLD. 
2000 R1100RT, Opal 104,000 Smiles, SOLD
Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ - SE group,
BMW-MOA, BMW-RA, AMA, BMW-NEF,
Quote: "Be as safe as you can while still having fun."
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Thanks for the info folks. The bike is currently in storage for the long Canadian winter, but as soon as I pick it up I will be trying to get it to work, based on your comments.
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Update:  I got my bike out of storage a few weeks ago and played with the NAVVI and BMW audio settings and am now getting the voice commands loud and clear through the bike's audio system.  Not sure why it didn't work before, but i was probably an error on my part.