RT Tank Bag

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
6girl

RT Tank Bag

Post by 6girl »

I just bought a new to me R1200RT.  I don't care for the enormous size of the OEM tank bag - has anyone ever taken the bag off the base plate and put a different tank bag on?  The mounting system is genius, too bad the bag is like a giant bucket in yo face.  If you did the tank-ectomy, can you remove the tank bag without cutting up the interior?  TIA!
Life makes more sense on a motorcycle...
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: RT Tank Bag

Post by David. »

What year/model is your RT, from the description, I'm guessing it's not a Water Cooled 2014/15 Model.

If so, Touratech do a smaller 10 litre Tank bag for up to 2013 Models, http://shop.touratech.co.uk/tank-bag-am ... -2013.html.

Looking at the OEM Tank Bag (up to 2013),  I'd be surprised if you can separate the bag from the base with cutting into the bag.

As you say, the mounting system is very good, but the bag is fairly large & takes some getting use to on the bike.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

I had one of these for my VStrom before the RT. I bought a new tank lock adaptor and some longer bolts which takes it above the existing RT fixing. It now works a treat;

http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-bags/Tank%20 ... 20TANKLOCK

;)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi 6girl,  first `post'  and welcome to the forum,  here's  another Link to view re Tank Bags at  J&S  formerly `Hein Gericke,  there are also several small `magnetic' bags  available on the net that may be suitable.

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/luggage/tank-bags

Post a photo of your RT when you get a chance....... ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for the info. Steve, I didn't know that J&S http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/, had taken over some of the previous Hein Gericke premises, got two near me in Newcastle & Leeds.

The Leeds store is next door to Get Geared, http://www.getgeared.co.uk/.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dogbreath wrote:I bought a new tank lock adaptor and some longer bolts which takes it above the existing RT fixing.
Which Tank Lock adaptor did you buy for your 2010 RT?

With the adaptor in place, do you think you could still use the BMW Tank Bag when extra luggage capacity is required.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

I think the adaptor is a BF13? I had to hunt for it. I don't think you could fit the bmw bag as the adaptor is fitted using longer bolts and spacers so the base of the givi bag connects to the ring above the RT rail, if that makes sense?
I only use my givi tank bag occosaionally so don't need leave the ring on all the time, just when I need it?
Hope that helps.
6girl

Post by 6girl »

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the welcome!  I have an '07 RT.  I have a Chicane tank bag that I'd like to put on the base plate but don't want to destroy the BMW bag if I don't have to.  There are a lot of great bags out there with organization and exterior pockets, I'm surprised BMW hasn't put more thought into theirs.  Just my .02 anyway.
Life makes more sense on a motorcycle...
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dogbreath wrote:I don't think you could fit the bmw bag as the adaptor is fitted using longer bolts and spacers so the base of the givi bag connects to the ring above the RT rail, if that makes sense?
Yes, that makes sense, did the longer bolts & spacers come with the Tank Ring.
Budman

Post by Budman »

On my 06 and 12 RT I had the Touratech Flat Bag. It held everything that I need and was not obtrusive. I wish that they made the same size for the 2014 but the new one is much smaller.

The Touratech is easy on and off using velcro. Easy to move to fill the tank. Check out the website, I think you will like it.

I see you are from Colorado. Ann and I will be that way this summer for the 100th anniversary of RMNP. Let me know if you have any suggestions to enhance our stay in Estes Park.

Thanks,

Bud
[size=78%] [/size]
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Hey 6,

Welcome to the site. This topic has been discussed over on the RT thread on ADV, it sounds like folks have been mounting different bags onto the BMW Mounting plate with success.

I haven't looked at mine but probably just drilling out the rivets and installing the replacement with pop rivets or small nuts, bolts washers and a bit of silicone would work.

When my map sleeve starts to yellow I'll look for a nicer bag to attach to the mounting plate. That thing is brilliant and worth the cost by itself!
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

DaygloDavid wrote: Yes, that makes sense, did the longer bolts & spacers come with the Tank Ring.

No they didn't I had to trawl around, ebay I think
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Whilst dropping my bike off for its service today I took a look at the tank bag for the 2014 RT. Over £200! I no longer need the space of my (less than a year old Oxford magnetic bag that I took around Europe on the bandit) but its useful to have a little space to hand and more importantly waterproof document & notes store. But I think I upset them when I saw it and laughed out loud... Its wider at the top than the base it reminded me of the hats worn by the old East German border guards when I took a train from Frankfurt to Berlin in the 80s!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sent this e-mail to Givi:-

"Please may I ask, do Givi offer a Tanklock Flange/Ring for a 2012 BMW R1200RT.

If so, where can I purchase one from."

This is the reply I got:-

Good Morning and thank you for your email.

I would advise that currently we do not produce a tanklock fitting that is specific to the BMW R1200RT (2012).  We do not recommend that a tanklock fitting made for a different make / model of motorcycle is forced to fit as not only will this compromise the integrity of the fitting but it will also be hazardous as it may cause fuel to leak.

At Givi we provide a multitude of different luggage options.  If you would care to take a look at the Givi.co.uk website you may find an alternative that may prove suitable for your needs.

Thank you for contacting Givi UK.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dogbreath wrote:I think the adaptor is a BF13? I had to hunt for it.
Givi BF13 Tanklock, https://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/shop/Giv ... gLePvD_BwE