New Tyres please

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
BeeJay

New Tyres please

Post by BeeJay »

Managed 7k miles on the oem PR4 GT tyres that came with the bike in April (last year).
No problems with them except serious cupping on the front, same as I had on my previous 2014 RT.
Changing to Metzeler 01s, as I did on my previous bike with no cupping then.
Going to Chester tomorrow pm to get them fitted for £299.58.
Whilst we're there SWMBO is going to try a R1200RS. Trying to put her off buying the new 1250 (lol)
Take care one and all and ride safe
Barry
stayingupright

Re: New Tyres please

Post by stayingupright »

I'm close to needing a new set for mine and still confused as to which ones to get and where to get them from.
The PR5 GT's may be out by then .. 
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BeeJay wrote: Managed 7k miles on the oem PR4 GT tyres that came with the bike in April (last year).
No problems with them except serious cupping on the front, same as I had on my previous 2014 RT.

7k! Out of PR4GT's?
I think you should pay more attention to the standard of your riding rather than questioning which tyre brand compliments poor rider skills. Happy new year 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

A lot depends on when to change tyres. Perhaps I change them earlier than others.
The main thing is that I enjoy riding the bike and if it means I change the tyres  more often then that's  a price I'm willing to pay.
It's a superb bike and I love riding it hard (well). North Wales roads are all about enjoying the bike and having fun, safely.
Back in the days when I had a Pan, a guy I knew used to get a lot more mikes from his tyres than I did. But it took him ages to get anywhere.
It all comes down to personal choice. That's the great thing about riding.
:)

Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

simbo wrote:
7k! Out of PR4GT's?  I think you should pay more attention to the standard of your riding rather than questioning which tyre brand compliments poor rider skills. Happy new year 👍

Not sure I get how to take this:-) are you suggesting 7K is a too much or a too little?  Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Tyre choice is a very subjective choice. I normally bank on 6-7k max for a set of tyres before I change, I never run them down to the legal limit. A Michelin Tech told me years ago to run the PR4GT at 38 on the front and that helps massively with cupping. If you think about it, one tyre pressure for all makes of tyres on a bike, doesn't make sense, the tyre manufacturer is the best people to advise on pressures :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Peter Baker wrote:
Not sure I get how to take this:-) are you suggesting 7K is a too much or a too little?  Peter

A rather vague comment me thinks. Anyway I run PR4GTs on my 14 RT and get about 7K out of them and they are then squared off at the front and the back is down to 1 mm. Interestingly my heavier Pan with the same tyres I get 8K. I probably ride the RT harder than the Pan but I think the extra milage out of the much heavier Pan is down to the smoother V4 power delivery. Selling the Pan this year anyone interested ?
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Measured the tread:
Front - middle 2.0 : outer 2.5
Rear -  middle 2.0 : outer 4.0
Cupping on both front and rear with a very decent "chicken strip".

Very difficult to avoid centre wearing quicker, Germany and back was mostly "upright" and 1500mile around Scotlaqnd took it's toll.
Overall, I'm satisfied with how long the tyres last for my style of riding.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BeeJay wrote: Measured the tread:
Front - middle 2.0 : outer 2.5
Rear -  middle 2.0 : outer 4.0
Cupping on both front and rear with a very decent "chicken strip".

Very difficult to avoid centre wearing quicker, Germany and back was mostly "upright" and 1500mile around Scotlaqnd took it's toll.
Overall, I'm satisfied with how long the tyres last for my style of riding.

Same with me, in the scheme of things tyres are not expensive for a motorcycle, and they are pretty important, so I will continue to change them if they start to square off or lose grip, regardless of mileage completed :)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm with Casbar on this one.  Once the tyres start to feel bad they go, so that is usually 7-8k on a pair of PR4GTs.  I'd rather suck up the £30 quid cost of the rubber I could have used on screwing the last few miles out of them and enjoy the new ones.  Looking forward to trying the Road 5s.  One day......
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I'm going to be changing mine at about 8k.

Guess I need to look at the standard of my riding as well then! .... But we all knew that anyway, right?
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Guess I need to look at the standard of my riding as well then! .... But we all knew that anyway, right?

I better check my standard of riding or loose a lot of weight......I only get about 5k on a set of PR4's
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I'm another one not sure about the "standard of riding" comment.
I can get more than 7 or 8k out of my PR4GTs - much more from a front.  I often change tyres early if I'm planning a big trip.
Maybe my trips are significant - I like to visit some of the less frequented countries of Eastern / Northern Europe where speed limits can be low (when avoiding motorways) and where I don't want to be having a conversation with any officers of the law.
Maybe that helps with tyre wear, but I've also used German autobahns including a lap of the Nurburgring and still got great mileage out of my tyres.
I've also never noticed "cupping" - I thought that was an American issue.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

simbo wrote:
7k! Out of PR4GT's?
I think you should pay more attention to the standard of your riding rather than questioning which tyre brand compliments poor rider skills. Happy new year 👍

My comment certainly stoked the embers lol, No offence BeeJay (Barry) and I offer my apologies! It was just a bit of mischievousness on my behalf and I'm sure you're a very good rider! Just like all us RT riders!  Image Anyway, Going back to tyre choice? I'd have be inclined to go with the PR4GT's again going off the posts in this thread, Good dry grip, good wet grip, and an average life span of between 5 to 8k miles dependent of how heavy you are with your wrist and braking fingers & toes. I'll be interested to hear your opinions on the Metzelers after a few K miles? It was a tyre I was very tempted with when I opted for the PR4's again.

After 10k miles on my last pair of of PR4's

PS. How was the RS?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

No offence taken, just don't cross the road in front of me, lol.
I had the Metz 01s on my previous RT for about 6k miles and was extremely happy with the wear, no cupping at all.
As for the RS, a no-go. Anne's been used to VFR, 18years, and her latest CBR650F, 18months, and found it a bit "big" and was worried about the "pots" sticking out, tried the R, naked version of the RS, still daunted about cylinders sticking out and found it a bit of a reach to the handlebars. Risers may solve that issue but you have to buy the bike and risers just to try it.
I'll try and get her to try a boxer when the weather warms a bit. She has until July when her 2 year warranty finishes.
She likes the CBR, ridden just over 5k miles last year.
On a brighter side, it saved me about £10k.