New Tyres please

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Beagle

Re: New Tyres please

Post by Beagle »

I only got 2K out of a rear Dunlop on my K1100LT mostly 2up. It was back in the ‘80s.

The Metzlers on mine have done 1700 mls and hardly worn. Really like em. But dont ride in wet so cant comment on that.

Cupping I think is due to heavy braking.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: I only got 2K out of a rear Dunlop on my K1100LT mostly 2up. It was back in the ‘80s.

The Metzlers on mine have done 1700 mls and hardly worn. Really like em. But dont ride in wet so cant comment on that.

Cupping I think is due to heavy braking.

Braking can impact cupping, but under inflation and loading also plays a factor. Like I said if you speak to Michelin tech and use PR4GT, put a couple of more pounds in and the cupping doesn't happen. Have only used PR4GTs in the last 18k miles and the first set cupped, none have since then, and I don't think I've changed the way I brake.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I have never seen more than 5-6K out of rear PR4GTs on K1600/R1200/K1300S and the same more recently on Roadtec01s. I guess that eliminates the bike then:-) as some above say, it is a choice, I'm not mad but I like to "go" when out of the built up areas.  I am a lifetime PR2/3/4/4GT fan on a variety of bikes, however after the MCN tests saying "PR.. is a great tyre but Roadtec01 is better" I had to try them, and for me they are.  PR3/4s go round corners easy, but if you want the last few degrees in my mind you have to work at it, the Roadtec01s just role in asking for more and more...  I just can't get enough of them, plus I think I get about another 500 miles (10% woo hoo!) out of them before they start to feel "off".  Technology moves on, who knows I might be back to PR5s some day!  Peter
Last edited by Peter Baker on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I got almost 10k Miles out of the original PR4s  they were still legal but not good for riding on when I changed to Roadtec 01s

I have found I get more feedback from the 01s  you know when your near the limit,  with the PR4s I found suddenly I was past the limits and thinking oh shit :eek:

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

exportman wrote: Hi

I got almost 10k Miles out of the original PR4s  they were still legal but not good for riding on when I changed to Roadtec 01s

I have found I get more feedback from the 01s  you know when your near the limit,  with the PR4s I found suddenly I was past the limits and thinking oh shit :eek:

You ride on the limit and also get 10k out of your tyres, do you do riding courses - lol  8)
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Casbar wrote:
You ride on the limit and also get 10k out of your tyres, do you do riding courses - lol  8)

There is more than just the centre of the tread you know  :enjoying:

My riding is very mixed  daily commute and more interesting riding at the weekends
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the BMW recommended tyre options, Metzeler Z8 or Michelin PR 4GT are only listed for both the 1200 & the new 1250.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There is a thread running on UKGSER about tyres and grip in the Winter. Apparently Roadtec 01 are listed as a summer tyre. Not sure what that actually means as regards to winter in the UK though.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Metzeler do manufacture a winter tyre for scooters, https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/products ... ree-wintec
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Summer tyres ?  Winter tyres ?  For motorcycles ??  :o

Cars in UK come fitted, almost exclusively, with Summer tyres.  These tyres can be replaced with Winter tyres and this is recommended by motoring associations when temperatures are likely to fall below seven degrees celsius (and if you're going to visit certain European countries in the winter months)

All season tyres are also available, most of which are based on Winter tyre design & construction.  The downsides of running these tyres all year probably include less than best in class grip on hot dry tarmac and higher than average wear rates.  I'll see if that's the case with my Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons.....

As for bike tyres, the mileage I do in temperatures below seven degrees celsius would not justify using anything other than "Summer" tyres (assuming anything else is available).  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Metzeler Feelfree Wintec has the same tread pattern as the Feelfree with the application of sipes.

Feelfree

Feelfree Wintec

"The industry’s first cold weather tyre designed for safer winter scooter riding."
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Metzler roadtech 1's. Not the cheapest tyres but well worth the money.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

[attachimg=1]
These for me... excellent all round tyre.
Attachments
sx_rsmart3-more-8.jpg
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

smileymiley wrote: [attachimg=1]
These for me... excellent all round tyre.

Not being a tyre spotter, give us a clue, what make are they
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"A picture is worth one word", RoadSmart III.