Wanted - Older (around 2010) R1200RT

Looking to buy a BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or just after some parts and accessories?
Reaper999

Wanted - Older (around 2010) R1200RT

Post by Reaper999 »

Hello all,
I sold my RT last year and have been regretting it ever since. So I'm in the process of selling my Ducati and am begining to look for another RT.
I'm on a bit of a budget so can't afford to walk into a BMW dealership sadly so am looking at an older, air cooled bike, probably around 2009 / 2010.Colour not that important but needs to have panniers, preferably a factory fit top box and the usual heated grips, seat, etc.Mileage wise, I'm flexible if it's balanced with a decent service history and in good condition.Oh, I'm also a bit vertically challenged so fitted with a low or factory Comfort Seat would be ideal, although not a deal breaker for the right bike as I can always buy a low seat if need be.

Rather not have an ex Police Bike as I need a pillion seat and don't want the aggravation of converting if I can avoid it.
I've got the usual E-bay, Bike Trader & MCN covered so after info on a bike perhaps from a Forum member or someone you might know ?
I live in Worthing, West Sussex so something within a reasonable travelling distance (say 150 miles ?) would be good but willing to travel further if the seller is happy to discuss price and answer any questions that I might have before travelling to view as I'd rather not waste each others time if it's going to be a lengthy journey.
Not in any mad hurry to buy, so long as I have something by the begining of May I'll be happy.

Thanks
gogs01

Re: Wanted - Older (around 2010) R1200RT

Post by gogs01 »

A 2009 RT should have one of the last of the single cam engines, whereas a 2010 model would have the first of the twin cam versions.

I've had both and can't say that the later engine was noticeably better. There were also lots of detail changes to the bike too - switchgear, including "conventional" indicator operation etc. - some of which came with "teething" problems.

If, as you say, you're on a budget you might be better off with a well-spec'd earlier bike as long as it has been "cherished".  Based only on my personal experience, of course.

Good luck with the hunt !  ;)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

There's the dodgy fuel strip on models up to mid 2010 to take into consideration also. Out of curiosity, what do 09/10 bikes fetch privately?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

simbo wrote: Out of curiosity, what do 09/10 bikes fetch privately?
From what I've seen it can vary fairly wildly from as low as £3500 upto £6000 depending on spec, condition,  service history, mileage etc.
Theres a 2009 at a Dealer in West Mids that I like the look of with 32k on the clock and supposedly a full service history for £4595.
The Ducati is on Ebay at the minute and due to end early next week so if it sells I might try and make the trip to West Mids when I next have a run of days off, but if I'm travelling all that way I think I'll want to try and line up a few to look at so it's not a wasted a journey.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

Exceptional well loved Bike but alas health means it is time to go. The first to view this bike will ride it away before anyone else can. It has been maintained by qualified BMW mechanic locally and rides without a single flaw. Absolutely right on the button. Full audio system that can be heard a mile away or just for you on the motorway with bluetooth etc. All the gadgets and gizmos you would expect on this top spec vehicle. Automatic cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Electronic suspension control, ABS, Computer, Auto Stability control and more.  Intelligent charger lead hard wired in and if asking price given the system will be included. Full luggage and protection bars fitted. BMW Engine guards everything you could possibly want and more. Service schedule with long MOT and tax. This has to go but no silly offers please I would rather keep it to polish than let it go to someone that does not appreciate it.

[size=15px]2012 upgraded model BMW [/size][size=15px]R 1200 RT MU SE in grey  32kmiles Excellent Svc history. £7600 ono. [/size]
2012 SE
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Out of my price range at the moment I'm afraid but good luck with it.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Have you looked at autotrader.co.uk there seems to be some good 2009 RTs around the £4500 to £5000 mark. Best of luck.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

There's a couple of '09 low-seat bikes (both have the one-piece seat, so, if my memory serves, they're possibly low-chassis bikes too) on eBay at the moment. One is very optimistically priced!
Pete
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Thanks Guy's
I've been keeping an eye on Autotrader & MCN but everything there seems to be noticeably more expensive than equivalent bikes advertised on E-bay for example. In fact there are some Traders / Dealers that have adverts on both with the asking price on the E-bay adds being a few hundred quid cheaper.
Keeping an eye on the E-bay stuff Pete and I think I know the low seat bikes your referring to. Completely agree that the sellers are being somewhat optimistic, especially given the time of year.
I've just taken a Deposit on my Ducati and the Buyer is due to collect it week commencing the 11th of Feb so now I know I'll have space in the garage I'll start to step up my search.Think I'll also keep an eye out for a cheap second hand low seat so I can take it with me for any test rides, just in case.....
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Well my Ducati has now gone and it looks like I've got myself a 2008 RT SE off of E-bay, just need to work out how I'll be getting to Shrewsbury to try and pick it up.Thanks all.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Reaper999 wrote: Well my Ducati has now gone and it looks like I've got myself a 2008 RT SE off of E-bay, just need to work out how I'll be getting to Shrewsbury to try and pick it up.Thanks all.

Welcome back 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

Reaper999 wrote: Well my Ducati has now gone and it looks like I've got myself a 2008 RT SE off of E-bay, just need to work out how I'll be getting to Shrewsbury to try and pick it up.Thanks all.

is it a done deal or are you open to make an offer?

2012 SE
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

leonjennings wrote:
is it a done deal or are you open to make an offer?
Its done and gone I'm afraid.