Changing UP from 2nd... and going into 1st!

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Dee Dub

Changing UP from 2nd... and going into 1st!

Post by Dee Dub »

I've done about 1000 miles on my 2014 R1200RT. Mostly it's fine, but I have experienced weird gear change problems on three occasions. Twice I have upshifted from second and found that the gearbox has somehow 'bounced' down to first, resulting in high revs and a diving front suspension! And yesterday I upshifted from second and ended up in neutral. Any ideas what is going wrong and if there is a cure?

To date those problems have not been important, but one day it could happen at a crucial moment.

A few important notes:
  • My RT does not have Gear Shift Assist Pro - rare on an LC, I realize, but that's how the original buyer spec'd it.
  • Over the 1000 miles I have probably upshifted from second hundreds of times without problem, so it's a very intermittent problem.
  • I have been riding bikes for 39 years, and covered hundreds of thousands of miles, yet never had this problem before, so don't give me grief that I don't know how to change gear!
  • I usually apply just a tiny amount of clutch on upshifts. Yes, the bike is capable of clutchless upshifts, but old habits die hard.
DW
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Changing UP from 2nd... and going into 1st!

Post by T6pilot »

Dee Dub
Without trying to start a oil thread, what brand and weight are you using
When I got my 15 new I used Castrol 5-40 shifting was a bit stiff
At 3000 miles I switched to Bmw branded shell 5-40 Advantic, bike does shift easier, which may or may not have anything to do with oil
Jim
ExGMan

Post by ExGMan »

I also switched oils on my 2015 RT at the 30,000-mile oil change...but from Advantec 5W-40 to Liqui-Moly 5W-40. Shifting smoothness was better in all changes. I do have the Shift Asst. Pro. but usually use the clutch on the 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 upshifts. This would not apply to your situation, but there was a firmware update on the Shift Asst. Pro. a while ago. That made bikes so-equipped to be easier to shift.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Have you fitted a side stand spreader plate.These have a tendency to foul the gear lever when trying to change gear.  Just a thought