Sticking rear calliper

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Sticking rear calliper

Post by Potential new owner.. »

My rear calliper was seized so I've stripped it, given it  good clean and installed new pistons but..the disk is still getting hot when I ride. The disk shouldn't get hot surely?Do I have to replace the calliper?
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Sticking rear calliper

Post by simbo »

I noticed my rear brake getting warmer than in should recently, I gave the pad retaining pin a smear of copper grease and the issue was resolved, I'm guessing they (the pads) were sticking and not releasing fully due to the slight corrosion on the pin.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the help of an assistant, changed the calliper/piston seals on my 2012 TC yesterday.

The rear wheel seems to rotate more freely now, with less noise/friction between the pads & disc when the brake is not applied.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Potential new owner.. wrote:My rear calliper was seized so I've stripped it, given it good clean and installed new pistons.
RealOEM doesn't list pistons for a 2016 LC, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=34_2072.

Where were the pistons obtained from.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Are you sure its the caliper, it could be the pads jamming in the caliper housing, just a thought