Bodywork screws

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
lipsee

Bodywork screws

Post by lipsee »

I was enjoying a nice ride when I noticed one off my windscreen retaining arms hanging off,,,I lost a screw....so I used a piece of Gaffer tape (always good to carry) to keep in place..When I got home ,I thought I would borrow a screw from the bodywork as a tempery measure. Low and behold I already had two missing form there..could it be my mech forgot to tighten them all up!!!!  Anyway  does anyone know where I can buy a cheap bag of Torx screws from.....its a good idea to always carry a few spares.......
Levisp

Re: Bodywork screws

Post by Levisp »

Quick answer is no. On my 2014 bike the fairing screws come in different lengths, some with shoulders and those with shoulders have different length shoulders. From memory there are at least three different type of screws. Your best bet would be to get a couple of spares for each type from your dealer.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I lost some fairing bolts, so I bought some spares from Rainbow BMW in Rotherham. Martin and the other guys in the parts department are first class. If they say that you will get it by Friday then you can guarantee that it will be there by then.

Prices were sensible as well.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
lipsee

Post by lipsee »

Ok ,,I see they sell them on Amazon,, can anyone tell me the correct size!!!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

lipsee wrote:Can anyone tell me the correct size.
For a 2005 RT, the windshield screws are M5x16, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=46_0904
lipsee

Post by lipsee »

Cheers David,,,  it seems the retailer is about 10 miles from my house...
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Ebay, I've bought many a stainless steel torx head bolt from there. Dont forget to apply thread lock to the leading thred when you fit them, an remember that the screen mounting arms are die cast and the thread easily strip.  If that happens which is an almost certainty, you will need to helicoil them using a kit from ebay costing less than £10.00.  I have had this happen several times, the helicoil is better that the original thread
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Motorworks sell packs.