How cold

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bhahn

How cold

Post by Bhahn »

Pick up this 07 rt last week of October 2018. So took a couple of rides before the ice on the road in front of the house built up, one of which was at -4c. The screen had a blinking snowflake. So will the bike engine struggle in cold weather? Should it be fitted with a bra to break the wind around the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: How cold

Post by BoB21 »

You need a 48DD.
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

The RT is so comfy, and provides so much weather protection, that BMW decided we needed a little warning light to tell us when it has become rather cold beyond the fairing. The snowflake symbol is only for information. On other bikes your frozen hands and feet would provide that same information.
DW
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I have ridden in temperatures down to -10.  As long as I can fit the key into the lock, and turn it, she has never failed to start.

For information, usually she is sitting outside behind a locked gate so frozen locks are always a distinct possibility.
Best regards, Sleuth
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

The bike will be fine 👍the "snowflake" comes on at +2 just to warn you it's cold.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

You'll get the same warning symbol on most modern cars.

It doesn't tell you you're going to get cold or that the car won't work, it's there to warn you that you may come across black ice.  This can be very dangerous in a car and absolutely lethal on a motorcycle.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Bhahn wrote: Pick up this 07 rt last week of October 2018. So took a couple of rides before the ice on the road in front of the house built up, one of which was at -4c. The screen had a blinking snowflake. So will the bike engine struggle in cold weather? Should it be fitted with a bra to break the wind around the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

The quick answer is NO, not at all.

The bike has excellent thermal management. The Oil cooler will be shut off till the thermostat tells it to open. So just wrap up warm and enjoy your boxer! Ride carefully.