Corbin Seat w/ Smuggler set up for a 2009 R1200RT - screw up!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Tom Stewart

Corbin Seat w/ Smuggler set up for a 2009 R1200RT - screw up!

Post by Tom Stewart »

In an effort to correct the uncomfortable stock seat, I made a "seat of the pants" bad decision I THINK.
After researching several seats, I really liked the Corbin Smuggler setup: http://corbin.com/bmw/bmwrt14smug.shtml. However, I wasn't willing to part with $1500.
I found a used one for $375 with a good paint match and heated saddle....It should be delivered today. I went to Corbin website to look for any special wiring/install instructions and noticed that this setup is only for 2014 to 2019 models...My RT is a 2009. I called Corbin and got a well you might be able to shave it down and make it work or you might not answer from their installer/tech support.
Question:Has any one installed this smuggler setup on their 2005-2009 R1200RT? If so, can you comment on fitment please?
If not, I'll post it up for sale shortly.
Thanks again,Tom
Tom Stewart

Re: Corbin Seat w/ Smuggler set up for a 2009 R1200RT - screw up!

Post by Tom Stewart »

My luck has changed!
It fit perfect. It is a shade darker than my silver bike, but that can be fixed easily.

I see why people say negative comments about the Corbin seats........This seat is as hard as a rock. A trip to the upholstery shop is going to cure that.

I really like the “trunk” storage compartment. Looks like it is still going to be a great deal.
ts
gary45

Post by gary45 »

Before modifying the seat you should put in some hours on it, see if you find it comfortable, you might be surprised, I have had them on last 3 bikes, find soft seats OK for short rides but soft incredibly uncomfortable for long rides.
percy

Post by percy »

gary45 wrote: Before modifying the seat you should put in some hours on it, see if you find it comfortable, you might be surprised, I have had them on last 3 bikes, find soft seats OK for short rides but soft incredibly uncomfortable for long rides.
I agree. I've had Corbin seats on my last bike and current one (both purchased second hand) and find them really comfortable. They might seem hard at first but I certainly find them much more comfortable than the much softer standard seat. An hour or so in the saddle of the standard seat starts to feel uncomfortable, but I've never experienced that with the Corbin seats and when I stop it's not because of any discomfort from the saddle.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

percy wrote: I agree. I've had Corbin seats on my last bike and current one (both purchased second hand) and find them really comfortable. They might seem hard at first but I certainly find them much more comfortable than the much softer standard seat. An hour or so in the saddle of the standard seat starts to feel uncomfortable, but I've never experienced that with the Corbin seats and when I stop it's not because of any discomfort from the saddle.

Me too. The standard seat is nice and soft in the showroom and designed to be so but it compresses after an hour and contains little comfortable support thats why I got the Sargeant ones, wider, more support and comfort.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Beagle wrote:
Me too. The standard seat is nice and soft in the showroom and designed to be so but it compresses after an hour and contains little comfortable support thats why I got the Sargeant ones, wider, more support and comfort.
+1
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I must have an odd rear end, I have covered 18k on the standard seat and have not ever found it uncomfortable, infact I have never purchased an after marked seat for any of my bikes. Must have saved myself loads over the years  8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote: I must have an odd rear end, I have covered 18k on the standard seat and have not ever found it uncomfortable, infact I have never purchased an after marked seat for any of my bikes. Must have saved myself loads over the years  8)

Indeed. :)
gary45

Post by gary45 »

Corbin is the only seat builder that glues the leather or vinyl cover down to the foam, if you try to recover modify may result in quite a mess
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I also find Sargent seats rock hard.  Conversely, did 10k this summer on the stock seat without any problems.  Mind you, only went over 600 miles in a day on a couple of occasions, but couldn't imagine doing it on a hard seat.  It seems all the expensive "touring" seats are designed hard, so there must be some consensus it's better for the butt, but it seems to defy logic and my butt-bones.
Tom Stewart

Post by Tom Stewart »

Well, I dug into the seat today after a trip to a friend down the road that does upholstery work....He is a one man shop and is recovering from shoulder surgery, so the job was mine. He primarily does marine upholstery work and has good materials and advice.
Started by drilling out rivets and removing leather. Found that one of you were correct, what little foam was there was glued to the leather, however, it was only glued where there was stitching on the leather....removed the original 1/2" foam that was deteriorated and no longer serviceable and left the foam remnants/glue over the stitching. It likely was glued there to keep water out....always good.
Glued to the fiberglass shell was a more dense foam with the seat heater on top of it and a plastic sheet of very sticky plastic was atop that. I sprayed adhesive and added my first piece of 1" high density foam....took about a minute to setup the glue...trimmed it to fit like I wanted and applied more glue on top...then applied a 1/4" cover piece....foam on one side and a synthetic material on the outside...trimmed it to fit the other piece.
Stretched the leather back on and started the process of drilling and riveting the leather onto the fiberglass....front to back was easy because there was plenty of leather....side to side was a different story since adding the new foam...I used adjustable clamps to grab/grip the leather and slowly stretch it until I had enough to drill and rivet....
It came out wonderful and took about an hour and fifteen minutes all in.
The seat is much more comfortable and I look forward to breaking it in properly.
Thanks for all of your input....I had some issues with the stock seat, but not necessarily from being too hard, but the riding position was bad for me...The only place I was comfortable was sitting on the crack between driver/passenger....the seat tended to make me constantly slide forward toward the gas tank....hip flexors hurt after a couple of hours or so....
So, I have been looking at other options; found this "corbin smuggler" setup and liked it....was lucky to find one used cheap....but it was hard as a rock...the stock BMW seat feels SOFT compared to the used corbin....Hope it works for me.
Thanks again for your input,ts