Fighting to stay dry

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Kickten Nutz

Fighting to stay dry

Post by Kickten Nutz »

This question/topic is primarily aimed at my friends 'across the pond' because you seem to do far more wet weather riding than we do here in the states and I believe that your riding gear is better because of it. I ride year-round whether it be touring or commuting to and from work and while I have a great summer riding suit, I struggle to find a truely waterproof suit for the remaining three seasons when the weather turns cool/cold. I have a one piece Tourmaster Centurion for when it's really cold and a two piece Aerostich suit for the Spring and Fall. When it rains,  I wear a one piece Motorrad rain suit as over gear but have yet to find something that allows me to remain completely dry. I always tend to get a wet crotch regardless of which bike I'm riding. I own several bikes but my primary ride is a 15' RT and my secondary is a Honda CRF250L for when the roads are snow covered and/or icy. I do own a small truck but I only use that to haul my track bike. Otherwise, I despise four-wheeled vehicles and would rather arrive at my destination completely soaked than by means of a car or truck. Anyway, enough of that rant and back to my issue. I would like to hear your opinion on what suits or gear that you use to keep dry when riding in the rain. I bought the Aerostich suit because I thought it would be the save-all and would keep me dry for my one hour (round trip) commute to work but I've been proven wrong. I wear the rain suit over my riding suit but still manage to get wet. Fortunately, all of my friends/co-workers know me well enough to realize that this is a motorcycle gear issue and not an anatomical issue but it would still be nice to walk into the office without looking like I'm in dire need of medical attention. Please pass along your thoughts and what gear that you have found that keeps you dry.  If getting wet is just the inevitable monster of riding a motorcycle than I will just keep fighting it but, in today's world, I can't help but believe that there's some piece of kit out there that truely is waterproof. Thanks in advance and safe riding!
Last edited by Kickten Nutz on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Re: Fighting to stay dry

Post by BeeJay »

Kickten, in my youth, many many years ago, I suffered the same as you, but since returning to biking, about 20years ago I have only had 2 outfits and both were, are, complately waterproof.
The first was a textile two-piece from J&S Accessories at Northwich. The second some 8 years ago was another textle two-piece from Hein Gericke.
Can't speak for any other makes but the people I rode/ride with don't get wet. So it must be something that is supplied to the states.
Keep looking
:) Barry
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I ride with a Rukka suit. I'm a blood biker so ride all year around in all weathers, often many trips a night. I have never been wet or cold, but its not cheap kit, circa £1500. I've had my suit now for over 2 years. There are other makes in Europe, such as Klim and Stadler, all get good reviews
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

I ride all year round but my commute is only about 45 to 60 minutes each way dependent on traffic so I have not tested my kit on longer journeys.

I had a Revit all-in-one suit that leaked after about 10 months, replaced under warranty, and the second suit also started leaking after about 10 months, full refund given as Revit said that they did not expect their kit to used day in day out. I note that they no longer sell that product.

I then tried the BMW all-in-one suit and that works well but after 2 years I have found (like you) that heavy rain results in a damp crotch (not due to my age honest!). I still use this suit daily and put up with the odd time I get to work with less than dry trousers.  :silence:

I also have a two piece Rukka suit that is great, but the lesson I have learnt is that no matter which make you buy they will all leak after a certain amount of use. I suspect that regular reproofing particularly on the taped seam areas would extend the 100% waterproof time-frame.

Long story short, I do not think any make will remain 100% waterproof in heavy rain. If that is what you need and on long trips, you may need to wear an oversuit over your normal waterproofs, the sort of "plastic bag" type all-in-one oversuits that has zero protection just water protection.

Good luck with your search. 
Last edited by TJRL on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

One question is do any of you follow manufacturers recommendations to reproof waterproofs one pieces, 2 pieces etc. I have a Truimph set from my Trophy days for winter riding and a pair of over trousers and with quite a few textiles and waterproofs suits you can can sprays of washing machine Nixmax solutions that you wash you kit in and leave to try.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Eventually all gear will start to leak, even the very top end stuff.

I used to use the BMW Streetguard 2 suit and after 7-8 years of riding in all weathers the trousers started to leak.  The jacket was replaced a couple of years previously, with a Klim Badlands.  I am making do with over trousers until I replace them. The current contender is made by Rukka.

My opinion is use Gortex Pro (or equivalent) which is laminated to the fabric.  It will cost the earth, but you will not get wet.

Going for the cheaper membrane option just reduces the working life of the garment.  Also getting caught out in the rain, and no safe place to stop to add the liner, makes for a very uncomfortable ride.
Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: One question is do any of you follow manufacturers recommendations to reproof waterproofs one pieces, 2 pieces etc. I have a Truimph set from my Trophy days for winter riding and a pair of over trousers and with quite a few textiles and waterproofs suits you can can sprays of washing machine Nixmax solutions that you wash you kit in and leave to try.

I wash my textiles every month or so with Nikwax Tech wash and re-proof once a year. I also sponge off any mud and grime. Like I said I have been out on duty for 5 hours at a time in torrential rain, and my suit has never leaked. But I do accept that anything will wear out eventually. My Rukka suit has a 6 year warranty to if it does start to leak, its going back. There is a get out clause with the warranty, they won't fix things due to wear and tear, so if you have covered 1000s of miles each year eventually a new suit would be in order
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

Just pulled the trigger on a laminated Gore-Tex Pro Stadler. Obscenely expensive but gets good reviews. Apparently it's the suit of choice for the German police.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Vince Prince wrote: Just pulled the trigger on a laminated Gore-Tex Pro Stadler. Obscenely expensive but gets good reviews. Apparently it's the suit of choice for the German police.

I saw a great review of Stadler vs Rukka. Both great suits, but they did say you need to have a better base layer during the winter with Stadler suits as the Germans apparently don't ride in the winter so much. There was nothing between the two suits, it all depended on fit, but Stadler was better vented for the summer.
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

Vince Prince wrote: Just pulled the trigger on a laminated Gore-Tex Pro Stadler. Obscenely expensive but gets good reviews. Apparently it's the suit of choice for the German police.

I am sure you wil be impressed. I have the Airdraft Pro as a summer jacket. First class bit of kit.