Navigator V

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Navigator V

Post by hammo »

Hi , Its my first venture into France this year and i would like to know if my Navigator V will operate ok when i get into France , do i have do download any information from Garmin ? or will it operate ok , all information is welcome many thanks .Hammo
bandytales

Re: Navigator V

Post by bandytales »

hammo wrote: Hi , Its my first venture into France this year and i would like to know if my Navigator V will operate ok when i get into France , do i have do download any information from Garmin ? or will it operate ok , all information is welcome many thanks .Hammo

Yes it will work fine, but it is ALWAYS worth doing a map update, so a quick trip online to GarminExpress, synch your device and update. Job done.
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

A couple of years ago Garmin split the map of Europe into two parts. I had a major problem when Express removed the half I needed and updated only the other half!!! When I disembarked the ferry I saw only the base map (a few major roads) and no details.

It's easy to double-check that your device has the detail. Search for some of the place you are going and zoom in to see whether it displays details down to street level. If If you see just a couple of straight lines then your device doesn't have the detailed map.
DW
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

as above from Dee Dub, Southern Europe includes Northern France to Garmin, also coast appear as straight lines. you shouldnt have a problem but worth checking B4. If anybody experiences this Google Nuttys law.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

BoB21 wrote: If anybody experiences this Google Nuttys law.

Sorry, can you explain this part. I don't understand.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Don't forget that speed enforcement sites don't show up in France as French law doesn't allow it. The French and several other European countries brought that in several years ago and Garmin and the like had to update their software to comply.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

bandytales wrote:
Sorry, can you explain this part. I don't understand.

It is an "in-joke" on the UKGSER website.

The rule is that it unwise to update the maps before updating to the latest version of Garmin Express. Some folks got caught out by this (despite a GE pop-up appearing on the screen), and only Northern Europe (not including France) was uploaded to the SatNav.

Last edited by beemerboy9 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pickaxe wrote: Don't forget that speed enforcement sites don't show up in France as French law doesn't allow it. The French and several other European countries brought that in several years ago and Garmin and the like had to update their software to comply.

Ah, true. BUT, they get around it by the SatNav warning you that 'the next xxxmetres' of road is a high risk of accident. It means the same thing. If you see a warning such as this double check your speed because there IS a camera lurking.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

beemerboy9 wrote:
It is an "in-joke" on the UKGSER website.

The rule is that it unwise to update the maps before updating to the latest version of Garmin Express. Some folks got caught out by this (despite a GE pop-up appearing on the screen),and only Northern Europe (not including France) was uploaded to the SatNav.

Don't you mean Garmin's Nutty law not Google's?
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I meant google nuttys law and you will find the threads.also I had updated express B4 maps and had problems .finally got it sorted and dont wish to play around again.