MIRRORS

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

MIRRORS

Post by jackronner »

Not happy with the bar-end aftermarkets I mounted on my 2005 RT, and was wondering if there are other mirrors out there that fit into the existing (un-threaded) holes on the lever assemblies.  Seem to recall looking and finding that the ones I found all required drilling out the bottom of those holes, and that many of them would interfere with my over-sized windshield when it's adjusted to a lower position.  Any thoughts?

milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: MIRRORS

Post by milleplod »

1150GS mirrors are a straight fit, as are ones from the K1200RS - not sure re fouling the screen though, sorry!
[attach=1]
Pete
Attachments
amirrors.jpg
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Milleplod,  When you say "straight fit" they don't require an modifications/drilling?  My recollection is that first, the holes on the RT aren't threaded and also that there is a a smaller ID hole at its bottom. Also, is there a particular range of model years on the GS etc. that fit the RT?  Thanks.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

I am sure that mirrors were available that were a straight fit.  K1200RS mirrors perhaps?  I am sure that I also saw an after-market solution on a well known auction site that were a straight bolt on but that was a while back.     
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Not easy to tell from the photo above, but these could be BMW, like the ones below.

Looks like the above mirrors are for a 2003-2004 K1200RS, https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... 200rt.html, as fitted to this RT.

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Yes, the part numbers are for the K1200RS mirrors.  And it looks as if the bolt should fit through the smaller hole at the bottom of the fitment.  Thanks.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I was able to compare the effect of the 1150GS and K1200RS mirrors side by side and preferred the thinner stalks of the less-elegant GS mirrors. The GS mirrors do vibrate, but they were still better than the stock ones.

The OE mirrors were then re-aimed as overtaking mirrors, since the Germans drive at 100+ mph on their motorways.
John Bentall
ds99

Post by ds99 »

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I've decided to adapt the empty mirror slots on the switch assembly to accommodate some 10mm mirrors from an old bike of mine.  I drilled out the bottom of the slot, bought a 10mm coupling nut (essentially a 25mm high hex nut), and will insert a long 10mm bolt and lock nuts from the bottom into the coupler, and the mirror will go on the top end of the nut.  Not pretty, but will give me mirrors within the profile of the bike for white-lining it in traffic, and which will not require me to lose my peripheral vision of the road ahead whilst checking my rear view.