Changing battery.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Changing battery.

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:I might even buy a little Chinese BMW badge to stick on it with the saving.
You'll need 2 BMW badges, one for the battery and one for the battery charger.
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

mentalrental wrote: I've opted for the Yuasa YT19BL-BS. recommended for the R1200rt. And yes only £50 with free delivery.
Just to say the Yuasa battery fitted perfectly. I performed the throttle opening as required with ignition on, The engine spun over much quicker.
Peace of mind.
For the uninitiated the battery comes packed with the Acid/water in separate (6) plastic sealed bottles. You simply upend the 6 bottles and push down onto the battery. This releases the acid into the battery. Once all in you push the seal (supplied) into place. The battery is now sealed but does need a charge prior to use.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for the feedback, I'd certainly consider one if necessary for my 2012 RT.

As above, filling a MF AGM battery is straight forward, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpg10yp4duo
Last edited by David. on Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

Just seen this thread and coincidentally bought the Yuasa and fitted it on Monday.
Cheap, does the job and MDS have brilliant service.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"The Yuasa YT19BL-BS AGM battery is shipped dry along with its own pack of electrolyte that is added at the time of installation. Once filled with electrolyte from its special packs, an AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. The electrolyte is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about leaks on the valuable vehicle parts and accessories."
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

David. wrote: "The Yuasa YT19BL-BS AGM battery is shipped dry along with its own pack of electrolyte that is added at the time of installation. Once filled with electrolyte from its special packs, an AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. The electrolyte is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about leaks on the valuable vehicle parts and accessories."

Lead-acid vs. AGM vs. gel battery charge level chart, for reference if you do not have a load tester...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Hi, Halfords sell Multimeters for less than €10, so to check you battery try the following:
  • 1.    A good battery loses 1% of charge per day when not in use. If more than that then battery check required.
  • 2.    Ignition OFF, not running (obviously), check battery = 12.8V or more => Battery OK. Otherwise charge up.
  • 3.    Ignition ON, not running, check battery = Voltage drop slightly to 12V(+) => Battery OK.
  • 4.    Start bike, check voltage drop, if 10V or more => Battery OK. If it drops to less than 9.6V => a problem with a battery cell. Voltage should climb to between 13 to 15V => Charging OK. Otherwise consider new battery.
  • 5.    Bike running, steady revs, turn on main beam. Voltage drops slightly but returns to same reading as at para 4. above. Means bike alternator is charging OK.
Hope this helps.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Just to carry on this battery thread. I recently ordered a replacement battery, for my 2015 RT, on-line. I tapped in the reg no. of my bike, and the corresponding battery makes showed up. One consistent result was the Exide Gel 12-19 battery, so went for that. Anyway, when I went to collect it from my local Euro Car Parts depot (chosen because of their good discount!) it was bigger than the OEM Exide one (ie longer and taller)! The subsequent debate with the retailer confirmed that the 12-19 was showing on their database as satisfactory for the 2015 RT (as an upgrade?) and also on other battery websites. Anyway, handed the battery back to shop for one elsewhere! I eventually bought a Yuasa 16-BS AGM type for £75. Not the cheapest, but it’s the right size, adequate spec. and works fine.

Also, to add to re-fit of battery discussion (once the cables have been disconnected). Removal and replacement battery fitted in approx. 15 minutes (once acid fill completed and left to settle). All that needed re-setting was clock and date function. Service indicator came on, but on subsequent engine start (left overnight),there was no service indicator, contrary to what the dealer told me would happen....??!!
Last edited by Steve F on Thu May 17, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Whilst my bike was plugged in to diagnostic equipment during the engine synchronisation check/correction, I mentioned that it was occasionally a bit sluggish to turn over & start. Apparently, when cranking, the battery voltage is falling below the minimum recommended. Will keep an eye on this, if necessary, will purchase a new battery at the start of the next season in April 2019.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

I've just picked up an OE-spec Exide 12-19 Gel for my RT from an eBay seller for £40 delivered....bargain of the year I reckon! He has more - they're part of a bulk purchase made after their packaging was water-damaged. Mine came today, it showed 12.47v, so it's on my CTEK overnight.
If anyone's interested, they're here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Gel-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Battery-12v-19ah-170CCA-GEL12-19/183446029788?hash=item2ab63c45dc:g:NvcAAOSwAaJaBY0j:rk:1:pf:0

Listed at £49 but the seller accepted my £40 offer.
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:If anyone's interested, they're here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Gel-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Battery-12v-19ah-170CCA-GEL12-19/183446029788?hash=item2ab63c45dc:g:NvcAAOSwAaJaBY0j:rk:1:pf:0

Listed at £49 but the seller accepted my £40 offer.
That's a fantastic offer, thanks for sharing. I'll probably leave it until next year now and if the Exide battery isn't available at that price, get a Yuasa for £50 from MDS, https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/yt19bl-bs- ... ttery.html, plus a free snood.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A BS Battery 51913 SLA Max, https://bs-battery.com/51913-sla-max/ is available for £62.16. The capacity (Ah) & CCA (A) are both greater than that of either the Yuasa or Exide batteries.

Has anyone had experience of a BS Battery or other higher capacity replacement batteries for a 2012 TC RT.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mentalrental wrote:Currently fitted is a Varta 19ah 170amp
Found a Varta battery for £155 from M&P, https://www.mandp.co.uk/51913-bmw-gel-v ... ttery.html, don't think I'll be getting one of those!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Tayna have offered a little bit of discount on the Exide Battery, down to £65, https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... ide/51913/

MDS are offering the Yuasa for £60, plus the free snood, might just swing it, https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/yt19bl-bs- ... ttery.html

The Yuasa is a replacement for the BMW/Exide since around 2014, https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/11/18/y ... nt-battery,
as used by a couple of forum members.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Whilst my bike was plugged in to diagnostic equipment during the engine synchronisation check/correction, I mentioned that it was occasionally a bit sluggish to turn over & start. Apparently, when cranking, the battery voltage is falling below the minimum recommended. Will keep an eye on this, if necessary, will purchase a new battery at the start of the next season in April 2019.
After being stood for 5 months, pushed the start button today. The bike fired up instantly at the first attempt. So much for needing a new battery. Will be interesting to see how the battery performs under normal stop/start conditions.