New Owner with questions on Lights

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Coach C

New Owner with questions on Lights

Post by Coach C »

I will try this again, I just picked up a 2012 R1200RT that will be my commuter bike.  I love the ride.  But, last night taking it home the low beams suck! lol.  So a few questions:

1-  Has anyone changed out the bulbs for LED?  If so, what type.  Was it an easy install?
2-  Aux lights. I know the Clearwater are the top of the line, but what else have you used.  Denali seems to show good mapping on the install.  If you used these what did you tap into so that they go on and off with key?
3-  I'm going to also put the P3 rear lights on as well. 

Oh one more thing. I have a CeeBailey windscreen.  It's tall but it really gives me that "bubble" of wind and cold protection.  what do you think of the shield?

Thanks,

looking forward to using this forum
:vader:
bandytales

Re: New Owner with questions on Lights

Post by bandytales »

Coach C wrote: Has anyone changed out the bulbs for LED?  If so, what type.  Was it an easy install?

The nice thing about the Camhead is that it has twin lamps for dip. I am surprised you find them so ineffectual.
In short, You can fit LED's to these lamps. The type with braided tail cooling are very suitable. The braid can be fanned out and tucked INSIDE the screw on cap. On my Wethead they have had no negative effect. Please make sure they are aimed low, as they are very bright and WILL cause glare (not because of their beam pattern, but because they are just so bright) -  unless setup very accurately.
Coach C

Post by Coach C »

Thanks.  That's where I need them down in front. 

thanks,
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I have a Cee Baileys screen on my 2007 RT. I like it, although like all big screens on the RT, as you get above 60mph, the reverse airflow "pushes" you forward. But I have got used to that

I have also tried one of these screens..

https://www.sportouring.co.uk/shop/scre ... w-r1200rt/

....and that was very similar to the Cee Baileys one
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

Coach C wrote: I will try this again, I just picked up a 2012 R1200RT that will be my commuter bike.  I love the ride.  But, last night taking it home the low beams suck! lol.  So a few questions:

1-  Has anyone changed out the bulbs for LED?  If so, what type.  Was it an easy install?
2-  Aux lights. I know the Clearwater are the top of the line, but what else have you used.  Denali seems to show good mapping on the install.  If you used these what did you tap into so that they go on and off with key?
3-  I'm going to also put the P3 rear lights on as well. 

Oh one more thing. I have a CeeBailey windscreen.  It's tall but it really gives me that "bubble" of wind and cold protection.  what do you think of the shield?

Thanks,

looking forward to using this forum
:vader:

I just ordered a set of Denali 2.0 DR1's for my 06RT, along with the Switch Eliminator Plug and the Dual Intensity DataDim Controller.  The kit hasn't arrived yet, but I expect the install is going to be pretty straight forward.

Like you, I want the lights to be on whenever the bike is running.  The Switch Eliminator Plug replaces the on/off switch and it's branch of wiring harness.  I'll tap into one of the low beam power wires to get a switched power source.  If this is all you do, the lights will be on 100% power whenever the bike is running.  Otherwise, if you go ahead and mount the included switch, the lights will still come on when the bike is running, but you'll be able to turn them off remotely.

The dual intensity DataDim Controller simply plugs into the Denali wiring harness replacing the included single intensity controller.  With it, the lights will run at 50% intensity with the bike running and low beams on, and 100% intensity when the high beam is turned on.  This also requires tapping into the high beam power wire for that switched power source.

The other nice thing with the Denali light kits is that they come with spot AND flood lenses that can be easily switched out in minutes.  You can run full spot (spot lens in both), full flood (flood lens in both) or a spot/flood hybrid (one of each) depending on your personal preferences.

Full disclosure: I'm running the CarRover braided wire LED's in all 3 stock headlight positions (2 low, 1 high) and they are absolutely fantastic - up close.  They do lack a bit of power/intensity at distance, but the Denali 2.0 DR1's will solve that problem for sure!
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by raider57 »

Check your headlight adjustment. My 2012 was WAY off  when I bought it used.  First,the manual adjustment knob should be turned all the way UP. Careful though, Do not force the knob, you can  break the adjustment lever if you twist it too far.
Then you can set the low beam headlights using the proper bolt adjustment which behind the light unit. You will need a small ratchet and 10mm socket.
Also, look to see your bulbs are seated correctly. They should point straight and level.  My high beam bulb was installed upside down and was cockeyed in the headlight unit. The light was nowhere near the road, more like up in the trees! The bulb tabs should be oriented exactly as shown in your owners manual.
Once I got this sorted out, my regular H7 bulb provide great illumination.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I fitted some LEDs which someone on here recommended, I took them out again about 3 weeks later because I was fed up of dazzling oncoming traffic (I would not like it) The problem with LED in a conventional reflector is that the LED usually has multiple sources spaced away from the position the reflector designer had in mind, which means they chuck light everywhere. I am surprised more people are not nicked for it.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Clearwater.

unmatched quality
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

wethead wrote: Clearwater.

unmatched quality

Depends where you are located, Clearwater do to have a distributor in Europe, so its £££££ to ship and import. I fitted Denali to my bike and am very pleased with them and they do have a UK distributor.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

The OP is talking about his Low Beam.
So Clearwaters will not help one bit.
He needs something with a very flat beam cut off and so none of these are suitable.
His best option is:
Checking his present beam adjustment.
Upgrading to LED or HID in his low beams. (I personally would go with the LED route).
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I have a 2010.

Installed Cyclops LED's for low beams and high beam. Have not had a chance to try at night due to our polar weather here in Chicago, but the brightness and color temperature should make for better night riding. 

Have Clearwater Darla lights transferred from last bike and I know these work well at night and are better than the eBay/Amazon cheap lights. These are mounted down low on Clearwater brackets on forks.  Customer service has been second to none, switch issue, replaced switch no hassle at BMWMOA rally was handled directly by Glenn, the owner and everyone I've worked with there has been great. I think Denali, especially the version 2 lights are great products based on what I've seen and heard, so don't think you can go wrong with Clearwater or Denali lights as Aux lights. Clearwater lights are connected to HEX EzCan so lights vary in brightness day and night and go full power with high beams.

Also put Skene P3 LED brakelights on rear. Brake lights are only lights on R1200RT that I have not been able to replace with LED's.  Get CANBUS errors any LEDs Ive tried. CANBUS compatible 194 LEDs for parking lights and Dynamic Motorrad lights for all turn signals.

Last edited by bicyclenut on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bicyclenut wrote: I have a 2010.

Installed Cyclops LED's for low beams and high beam. Have not had a chance to try at night due to our polar weather here in Chicago, but the brightness and color temperature should make for better night riding. 

Have Clearwater Darla lights transferred from last bike and I know these work well at night and are better than the eBay/Amazon cheap lights. These are mounted down low on Clearwater brackets on forks.  Customer service has been second to none, switch issue, replaced switch no hassle at BMWMOA rally was handled directly by Glenn, the owner and everyone I've worked with there has been great. I think Denali, especially the version 2 lights are great products based on what I've seen and heard, so don't think you can go wrong with Clearwater or Denali lights as Aux lights. Clearwater lights are connected to HEX EzCan so lights vary in brightness day and night and go full power with high beams.

Also put Skene P3 LED brakelights on rear. Brake lights are only lights on R1200RT that I have not been able to replace with LED's.  Get CANBUS errors any LEDs Ive tried. CANBUS compatible 194 LEDs for parking lights and Dynamic Motorrad lights for all turn signals.

Why won't Clearwaters help then? I have Denali D2, and they have different brightness setting for daytime, nighttime dip and full beam.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

??? Clearwater lights will work for the original poster in my opinion. But I think Denali lights can work as well. My preference is Clearwater but I know they are a bit more in price. Both should have similar features depending on how set up.
Casbar wrote: Why won't Clearwaters help then? I have Denali D2, and they have different brightness setting for daytime, nighttime dip and full beam.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

bicyclenut wrote: ??? Clearwater lights will work for the original poster in my opinion. But I think Denali lights can work as well. My preference is Clearwater but I know they are a bit more in price. Both should have similar features depending on how set up.

No, Clearwater's will not help. They will either dazzle, OR, they will be too dim to be of any use at night time for dip beam augmentation. You need something with a sharp beam cut off and a beam hot spot (the bright spot) somewhere near the end of the beam throw.
The Clearwater lamps are FANTASTIC at main beam augmentation and also, when set to dim, thay are good daytime running lights. They are not any good as dip beam augmentation.