Givi tank bags

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Duggie

Givi tank bags

Post by Duggie »

hi,
anyone have any views on Givi tank bags ? I’m thinking of buying the EA117 bag.

Duggie
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Givi tank bags

Post by simbo »

RTman10 will be along shortly. He'll point you in the right direction regarding spoons, Givi and Spiders    ;)  Other than that? Yeah Givi are a pretty good product, their tank lock ring system is good and very easy to use, plus, if you have a few bikes? you only need the ring to transfer the bag to different bikes. Beware of the larger bags, they sometimes interfere with the controls on full lock? could be worth buying the tank lock ring specific for your model and going to a Givi supplier (J&S + others) to try which tank bag suits your bike best?..
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Duggie,
Yes, I use a [size=18px]GIVI ST602 Tanklock [/size][size=14px]Tank bag, 4 litres. Only a tiddler compared to the one you’re looking at, but for me, just right for keeping those frequently and easy to get items, eg phone, cash, passport etc. As simbo says, their tank lock ring retaining mechanism is very neat and easy to use. Great bit of kit all round IMHO.🙂👍[/size]
horand

Post by horand »

I believe the ST602 has an internal and external jack plug socket?
Where does the lead plug into on the outside to the bike? The audio plugs ins are in the right hand flip up compartment. This needs to be closed if it is raining and therefore cannot be plugged into when raining?
horand

Post by horand »

All
Please ignore my last post.
I now know that the external lead that plugs into the Givi bag is wired to the battery and is solely a power supply. It can be attached to the handle bar so that it can be easily plugged into. This allows charging of devices contained in the Givi tank bag.
Regards
David
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

Thanks for the replies.
I actually prefer the Givi bag to the BMW bag, especially the fixing system.
Want a tank bag to put camera gear in, plus a clear pocket to take an iPad.

Duggie
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

I have two Givi "Tanklock" bags, a small clamshell one and a bigger touring one which I think is the XS320.
I tested several bags on the RT courtesy of the local Givi shop and found the EA117/118 to be too "boxy" and generally a poor fit for the RT tank whereas the smaller XS is a much better fit due to the contoured bottom.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

The xs320 is actually bigger volume wise, 35L compared to 26L for the EA117
Are you sure it’s the xs320 ?
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Duggie wrote: The xs320 is actually bigger volume wise, 35L compared to 26L for the EA117
Are you sure it’s the xs320 ?
My XS320 tank bag is the old model (20 liter, as stamped on it): the newer model is even smaller at 15 liters. I also ended up cutting off the front strap with a big old knife because it's just an extra hassle and a bad idea all around.Mind Givi markets the XS320 as specific for the new Africa Twin but of all the Tanklock bags I've tried on it was the best fitting for the RT.

I should have a picture of it installed somewhere but since it's not on the phone right now I'll just take another.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

Decided to buy the Givi xs308, fits the bike a treat, just the right size to carry dlsr camera, lenses etc. Plus a few other bits.
This bag is now discontinued (for whatever reason?) So there are bargains to be had out there.
Duggie