Newbie - 2018 R 1200 RT with 6k miles

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
apochiraju

Newbie - 2018 R 1200 RT with 6k miles

Post by apochiraju »

Hello All,

Great to be part of this forum.
Purchased the bike on Friday. Excited!

My name is Aravind, I have ridden bikes since I was 16. I have a 04 Yamaha R6, and my back cant take the riding position for a long drive. I’m new to the BMW, but I am thoroughly impressed with the bike.

Any words of wisdom and any advice would be much appreciated on the following topics:

I have 2 dogs, 11 lbs and 21 lbs. I’m looking for ways to take them on the bike along with my wife.

I live in Vallejo, CA. Are there any group of riders who go riding in this vicinity. Being new to the Bay area, I’m interested in meeting with experienced riders and riding with them.

Thanks so much
Super excited!
Aravind
Beagle

Re: Newbie - 2018 R 1200 RT with 6k miles

Post by Beagle »

apochiraju wrote: Hello All,

My name is Aravind, I have ridden bikes since I was 16. I have a 04 Yamaha R6, and my back cant take the riding position for a long drive. I’m new to the BMW, but I am thoroughly impressed with the bike.

Any words of wisdom and any advice would be much appreciated on the following topics:

I have 2 dogs, 11 lbs and 21 lbs. I’m looking for ways to take them on the bike along with my wife.

I live in Vallejo, CA. Are there any group of riders who go riding in this vicinity. Being new to the Bay area, I’m interested in meeting with experienced riders and riding with them.

Thanks so much
Super excited!
Aravind

Welcome to the forum. You need a bigger bike................. or a large sidecar attached. :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

apochiraju wrote: Hello All,

My name is Aravind

Hi Aravind, I'd say you need a top box adapted to carry a dog (givi aluminium type withe the sides replaced with cageing) for the larger fella on the rear rack and the little fella in the tank bag with a hole cut in for its head to poke out of 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
apochiraju

Post by apochiraju »

Thanks. That would be my second option to get a box and customize it.
I was wondering if there is anyone who has already done this or if there is a company that sells a custom box for little dogs.

Thank Yoh
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I suggest getting a IATA approved dog travel crate securely attached to the bike rack. Available through normal online sites in a variety of sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I have to agree that a sidecar would be the best option.
Cool too  8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

May need to check with insurance?
apochiraju

Post by apochiraju »

B787MECH wrote: I suggest getting a IATA approved dog travel crate securely attached to the bike rack. Available through normal online sites in a variety of sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank You. I was checking some other carriers where our guys can stick their head out.

I agree that a sidecar would be the best option, but I donot have space in my garage for that.

Cheers,
Aravind
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Met some folks at Amerivespa in Seattle last year who had modified the top case to turn it into a dog carrier.  Another couple had a trailer for their dog.  I think I'd rather try pulling a trailer with my RT rather than modify it for a sidecar.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.21.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.23.06 PM.png
BMW MOA #210438
apochiraju

Post by apochiraju »

That is so cool. I bought a dog carrier from saddleman. I took both my guys in that carrier. The little guy was irritated at first, but eventually fot used to it.

https://www.saddlemen.com/index.php?_route_=pc3200c-convertible-pet-carrier-universal

It looks smaller than it actually is.

Cheers
Aravind