Water Cooled Battery Model

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest5886

Water Cooled Battery Model

Post by guest5886 »

After less than two years the battery on my 2017 RT has started to display the typical symptoms of a BMW OE battery: it's dying out.  :)) Symptoms are the usual: instrument cluster goes blank when turning the bike on and then resets to the RT logo.

Tomorrow I'll drop by the BMW dealership to see if I can get a new one under warranty. So far they have always been very helpful but this is Italy so I wouldn't be too surprised nor angry if BMW weren't too keen on replacing batteries for free.
As a backup plan I'd like to know what battery model I can fit because 1)I can get good deals on Yuasa and Fiamm batteries 2)I am not going to pay that kind of money having a story with OE batteries from BMW.

I've read the YTX20CH-BS is a straight fit but I'd like to have confirmation.
Thanks in advance.
PoorUB

Re: Water Cooled Battery Model

Post by PoorUB »

Yuasa shows a YTX14H-BS or GYZ16H fitting the '14-'16 RT. I believe they are the same all the way up, so either of these should fit you '17 RT.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

The GYZ16H is the Yuasa equivalent of an Odyssey battery, only it costs twice as much.  :)) Joking aside the monster price is due to it being a US-specific model brought here through parallel import channels.

I'll drop by at the dealership tomorrow to hear what they have to say and keep you posted.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

I contacted the dealership and BMW will "most likely" replace the battery under warranty, albeit said replacement is subject to a battery load test which will be performed in a few days.
The dealership suggested an YTX20CH-BS battery as an aftermarket replacement (obviously off the record) and it's nice to have a fallback plan in case Mr BMW turns me down.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Battery replaced under warranty, meaning more money for fuel and rubber.  ;)
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Good result.
R1250RT LE